Author Topic: phase 6 test flight  (Read 46317 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 11:02:06 AM »
Hey Luke,

Do you have expo as well ?
I always put 30% on elevator as a start, smooth your flying... (I never use Dual Rate)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 12:54:03 PM »
hi fred, well i thought i might try that first anyways, im not a big fan of expo . i think my problem is that im trying to turn a slope racer into a floater.  :lol:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2009, 15:59:27 PM »
For your info Luke...................

I've just been repairing my Phase following a rather poor showing of controlled crashing on Sunday. :oops:

I took the chance to weigh all be ballast in the nose of the model.

Turns out that including the battery, the ballast comes out at 248grms.

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2009, 10:59:17 AM »
hi keith, sorry to hear bout your prang. hope there wasnt too much damage, was it C.G. related ???
im still waiting to test fly my own one since modifying the fuselage.

and totally unrelated: i have an O.S. 46la that wont behave aswell  :lol:

will she fly again keith????

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2009, 00:02:31 AM »
Hi Luke,

No the prang had nothing to do with CoG. It was just a case of extreemly high winds. One of the aileron servos was pulled out of it's "socket" in the wing. :( And the plane blew back over the ridge.

All repaired now, flying again tomorrow. :D  (Saturday)

Have you thought any more of possibly going to the Cork fly-in? (You know you want to!) :wink:

As for your O.S.
I haven't any experience of two stroke aero engine I'm afraid. (I fly electric) But I've a lot of motorcycle two stroke knowledge. On the basis that all 2S engines work on the same laws of physics,.........assuming the obvious things like clean carb, good glow plug, and no loose nuts and bolts, I'd say it sounds like you have a gas leak in the primary pressure chamber. (Crankcase)
Thats why the mixture is getting weak and causing the problem of leaning out and overheating.

On the bikes we'd make up a mixture of washing up liquid and water and brush it all around the crankcase /carb manifold joints/ crankshaft seals. Then run the engine and see if any of the joints "blow bubbles"

That might be a bit harder to do with a spinning prop unless you could shield the engine from the prop wash for a few moments.

Don't know if that's any help Luke?

K.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 00:34:32 AM »
thats good keith im glad its just a minor prang, although any prang causing damage can be a pain, :x
yeah my 46 la , i was looking at the manual for it  i think tuning it may call for a tacho, its just funny cos all the other os engines i had were fine , i never had a problem tuning them.
the manual says a 46 should drive an 11x6 prop i think i will try a10x6 or an 11x5 first just to be sure , ill definitely keep the leakage in the crank case in mind aswell. how is that fixed ?? tighten the bolts??
im sorry im not very good with engines and stuff :oops:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 06:06:51 AM »
Well Luke,.........here comes the bad news.  If you have got a crankcase leak, (either through a leaking seal or sometimes a small crack in the crank casing) then really it calls for a new gasket or seal to be fitted. (Or in the case of a cracked casing..........a new casing!)
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Like I said in my previous posting, I have no experience of aero engines, but I can't see how changing prop size would help you tune in an engine. The prop is simply a "load" for the engine to turn, and if you've not had this problem with any other engine then clearly there's a unique problem with this engine.

I understand from Ralph that there's a model shop in Cork. If you're feeling out of your depth maybe he could fix it for you. (At a price)

Of course the real solution is to remove the engine from the equation all together.

GO GLIDING! :clap:  :clap:

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 15:30:21 PM »
i think you might be on to something there , i even tried 15% fuel to try and get it to run better................. but alas no it was still the same ,
and as regards gliding , thats one of the reasons i took it up becouse , sometimes you just get pissed off with engines  :evil:
i bought it off a guy with a shop outside ennis , ill take it back and let him look it over.
MY PHASE 6 : I STILL  havent got around to test flying it yet , with D.O.E tests and the like.
as regards the fly -in ill have to see, my circumstances have changed ,
but,  yes, i would like to go  :)

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2009, 13:21:09 PM »
hey hey !! im back, i was lucky enough to have the phase 6 test flown in both light and heavyish winds. first of all i dialled in abot 45 % expo in both the ailerons and elevator, that helped an awful lot , can still suprise you but a vast improvement, i was then thinking of turning my rates waaaaay down but thought better of it ( there might come a day where i might need them) so im reasonably happy again

how are you getting on with the repairs on your one keith????
do you think the phase 6 prefers light conditions, i think mine does  :lol:
or mabey its me :D

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2009, 17:34:00 PM »
Hey, Good Man Luke :clap:

Very glad to hear your Phase 6 is starting to behave it'self.

Expo is definintely the answer. I wouldn't be without it, certainly not with a new plane anyway.
Don't know if you will find this but I've found that with time you can begin to reduce the amount of expo you use. I'm down to about 15% on aileron and elevator now and none on rudder. But I would advise you to do it a few % at a time. (maybe 5% at a time) As I see it, you gain nothing by making dramitic reductions other than the risk of getting caught out and the plane getting damaged again. :cry:

You might like to try using dual rates. I use low rate for take off's and landings, and high rate when she's way up in the lift zone. Just an idea Luke.

Have you tried any aerobatics with her yet? (You'll find she's very good at them)

Mine is in the air again. Can't remember what I had to repair the last time I told you about her, but she's spending less and less time in the workshop now and more in the air.

Strange you say your's flys in light conditions. I have great difficulty flying mine in much less than 20Km/h. She just keeps stalling. But that could be me. I've never been very good in light lift conditions.
I prefer to put 400grms of lead in the wing saddle area and launch her into a 50 - 60Km/h wind. She's very fast! WWwwweeeeee :lol:

I shot a movie of mine the other day, not sure how to upload it though.
(When it comes to computers I a bit of a Geek. Or an I a Nerd? I'm not sure :( )

K.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:54 AM »
Hey Mr K.

Youtube or vimeo is your friend.
Vimeo is better in the way that if the video is done using a DV or HD camera it retains better the quality. Youtube cuts the quality a bit.
Still the forum as a feature to include Ytube videos so that gives him some advantage.
If you need more specific help feel free to ping me.

Nando
..Nando

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
Well Nado I've taken your advise and uploaded the video to Vimeo, or at least I think I have :?:

I got an email telling me I'd uploaded it, but infact I can't play it. (I just get a blank screen :shock: ) May be my pc is too old.

Here's the link http://www.vimeo.com/4369918 (It's called Faze 6 Flite)

[youtube]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4369918[/youtube]

K.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 08:13:30 AM »
Hi Keith,

Video link fixed  :D

Like the music !
Hit me !!!!   :lol:  :P

God you are getting good at this piloting thing !  :clap:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks for the link Fred,

I still can't get anything, :cry:  Just a blank screen with a filling task bar at the bottom, but when the task bar is full....still no picture. Like I said, mine is a very old pc. (Steam powered,...has a coal fired boiler in the back of it! :lol: )

As for the flying,........ooohhhh...... my fingers really don't want to type this :(  but I have to admit..........mmmmmmm...........eeeeerrrrr.......I was "flying" the camera. Some old "has-been" called Joe was flying the model. :D There, I've told everyone, Dam! :(

K.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
:roll:  Ah Alright, Joe was flying the model !

Average flying so...  :P