Author Topic: Sunday October 26 - Mount Leinster ?  (Read 11724 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Sunday October 26 - Mount Leinster ?
« on: October 24, 2008, 07:40:41 AM »
Guys,

I have planned to head to Mount Leinster on Sunday...
Might be a OK conditions day up there.

Who want to join ?  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »
I might try and come. But I can't garentee anything. Will have to wait till Sunday to see. What time do you plan on being there.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »
Will anyone be bringing any chocie biscuits?  :) If so I'll be there!

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
Biscuits ?
Alright !
I'll have the tea aswell ! Not going to be warm up there !

I'll try to be as soon as possible, around 11am maybe before, and leave as late as I can !  :D

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 14:07:19 PM »
Sounds good to me. I'll bring my carbon rod and my new Elton John cd!  :lol:

Lets meet at the car park at the beginning of the west slope as this is a good spot for combat!

Not sure if you have been to the car park there Keith? Not with me anyway. Give me a ring on the way and I'll tell you where it is.

Better find some models and a radio so...

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 16:42:10 PM »
Elton John?? :cry:  :cry:  you are seriously Sad, Joe!!!

I've just got back from the west slope of Big L. Had a lovely time. These two gorgeus females were so impressed with my flying that they insisted  I ravage their bodies :lol:  :lol:
Of course, being a Gentleman, I declined.

Tried to use the flaps to slow the Elite onto a spot landing. Forget to use forward elevator. The bird just took to the skies again and blew back towards the dreded TREES!
I've now got a slightly modified Elite. Good job she's made of wood. And thank heaven for CA glue.

Don't know about tea Fred. I think Cognac might be more appropriate. Might improve my flying. (Or should I say landings :P  ) (Please remember the rubber bands.)

Car Park on the west slope? I've never seen one! Could it be you've been holding out on me Joe. Keeping the best combat areas a secret for your own practicing?
By the way. I think Brian from the MCFC might be joining us. He's just got himself a 2mtr Toon. Don't know if it'll be ready by then though.

So who else is going to join us? Roll up Roll up!!

K.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 18:52:54 PM »
Hey!

I may try to join you guys.
Still have all the RC gear packed.
But I'm having second thoughts as it seems there will be a background music from Elton John.  :?

Jut hope for the sake of everyone that the wind blowing take the "beautiful" music away... far...far... away... not that i have anything against him of course.
..Nando

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
Don't forget guys, the clocks "Go Back" tonight, so it will get dark an hour earlier tomorrow afternoon. :?:

I've re-glued the fin, wing joiner, (which snapped yesterday) and fuse' and made a repair to the leading edge if the left wing of my Elite. She's looking very 'battle scared' and she's been in the air for less than three hours. Hopefully she'll survive tomorrow without more damage. :cry:

I've also been down to the local Court House and taken out an injunction to stop Joe playing any music by Elton John (or George Michael) tomorrow. :twisted:  That way we can all have an enjoyable days flying.

Brian isn't going to fly tomorrow I understand, so it seems like it'll be Fred, Joe (Less his Elton John cd) possibly Alan, Icewind,..........oh, and Me 8)

I'll try to be there about 10-11. What time shall I call you Joe to get directions?
And combat if first up? :clap:

I'm looking forward to this,

K.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 22:25:23 PM »
Thanks to all for coming !  :clap:

Turned out to be a really good day.
Lots of wind, and the huge West slope for ourselves !  :D

Pretty much everything flew, and we finished the day with combat, and after checking my radio, I even have 40 minutes on the Backstrom !  :D

Fernando did is first "unmotorised" flight ! Welcome with the real flyers !  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:

And here are a few photos of the day. Enjoy !

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 22:27:36 PM »

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »
Endless lift, clear skies, and a nice bunch of people = Excellent day! :lol:

Thanks to Fred for bringing a camera, and putting up with all my silly questions about why planes fly :oops:

Fernando, you are going to have to get yourself some warmer clothing. If not, you'll miss out on all the windy winter days to come.
Here's a piece of free advise; get a 'Neck Warmer.' You can pick them up on Ebay very cheaply. (Or maybe your 'Good Lady' will knit one for you! :lol: ) Made from wool or fleece they stop the heat getting out past your neck. It keeps the whole of your upper body warm. I've been using them on my motorcycles for years. I guarantee this single piece of clothing will keep you much warmer at the slope. (You'll have to wear other clothing as well of course! :oops: )
Congratulations on your first true gliding flight. Now you're really FLYING :clap:

It was nice to meet up with Peter, Sean and the others, including some of the walkers who showed a mild interest in our hobby.

Joe of course, knowing that he can't beat me at combat, resorted to cheating :x  Told me that I'd knocked his plane down. Waited till I'd landed my plane and then "changed his mind" and decided his plane was still flying!!!
Next time Joe I'll make sure you're down :twisted:  :twisted:  (Ha)

Well, from where I'm sitting I can see a clear sky and I think there's a north wind picking up. Now let me see, shall I cut the grass ...... or go flying??? Hmmmmmmm................... :?:  :?:

K.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:35 AM »
Great photos!
I only took 2, and i don't know were i put the cable... :(

It was great to see and talk to all again and meet MR. K. :)
Thanks for the advise, i think i keep thinking I'm some miles south were the cold doesn't bite.
I better get used to fly using gloves.
But it was funny in the end, nose running fingers and mouth frozen but loving to see the plane  up there in the sky.
I'm still wondering how you guys managed to understand me talking, when i got to the car my girl ask me "Why are you talking in a funny way?".  :lol:  :lol:

I do have a complain to fill regarding two "nasty" skua's that were flying and knock me poor wing. I better glass the T1000 and hunt them down.

And it's true despite I've been flying my wing without using the motor the T1000 was the first pure glider i have flew. :)
No I'm a real flyer is that it?
..Nando