Author Topic: Mount L next weekend  (Read 29005 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
Okay men! You can all start breathing again now :P  
The cloud is indeed starting to lift and the mountain is now just beginning to become visible. (I had thought maybe the government had sold it off to reduce the budget deficient. :wink: )
The cloud is breaking up showing spots of blue sky, and the sun has come out. 8)  I should think it will be flyable by about 11’ish.

Wind speed here is variable ranging from almost zero to gusts of 20K plus. (Still from the SSW) But that too has been the norm for this time of the morning lately. By past experience this week, it should be blowing reasonable consistently in an hour or two. :D

Temp has climbed half of one degree since my last posting.

I plan to be at Nine Stones between 11 - 11.30.

See you then guys!

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
Oh dear! We’re off to a bad start here in Wexford today.

At my location the skies are very dark, there is slight drizzle but worse,…..there looks to be no let up in the heavy skies from any direction. :!:  

The mountain is completely covered in cloud and I think all we can do is hope for an improvement later in the day. :(

The only bright point is that there is plenty of southerly wind, about 30K gusting to 45. :clap:  

I’ll advise when the situation changes.

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 09:46:12 AM »
Not good news lads;

The sky isn’t so dark as it was, the drizzle has stopped and the wind speed has increased to 40K gusting to 60+ (Not a day for the faint hearted perhaps.)

But all of this is to no avail as the mountain is still cloaked in cloud from top to bottom.

Me thinks it’s unlikely to be flyable for at least another hour or two. ( Sorry to sound depressing)

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 17:03:35 PM »
Rain lifted in Cork about 11.30 and off to Kinsale I went, after a few attempts I got my Swift S1 in the Air, Kevin B flew his Lunak. I hope the afternoon improved for all at Mount L!

Thanks fred for organising a great weekend
Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 18:44:29 PM »
Hi all , I have arrived home after another brilliant weekend fun and flying at Mt. Leinster.
Saturday turned out to be a good days flying and we left the mountain around 6pm,
We drank beer and eat food to the late hours of Saturday nite, then up fresh and early for another days flying.
Today the weather closed in and we did not manage a flight although we did manage to tell some big stories and put the world to right.

Thanks to everyone for a brilliant time.
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 19:51:29 PM »
Another great weekend on Mount Leinster, so we didn't fly today but yesterday was a great day.

Thanks to those who helped me out with models  and again SORRY to John for the mid air with his Fox. Sad to see such a lovely flying model gone.  :(

I could have sworn we were well apart. Just shows that human depth perception is useless in the air!

Enjoy your flying through the Winter and I'm sure the boys from the North will ba back next year!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 20:36:26 PM »
Glad you all got home safely lads, and what a shame that Sunday had no flying visability. Part of the risks you take in having an outdoor hobby. But Saturday was great.
At one point I counted 12 pilots on the ridge, although there may have been some still down at the car park.

Personally I was very impressed with John (aka “Johnfireballs” :shock: ) He certainly has got some, although I don’t think there were on fire on Saturday. The wind would have blown them out! :lol:  
With only limited experience he was showing great confidence by flying way out from the ridge and half way across the next county. Shows what can be done, doesn’t it.

We were also joined by a couple of gentlemen of Polish origin. I’m afraid I have no idea how to spell their names so I won’t even try. It was enjoyable and, at times, ‘entertaining’ to watch their style of flying. One of them even bought a chair to sit in while flying. (I could have understood it if they were my age.)

I believe Fred took a number of photos, and Bill said he had 120 no less.
They say a picture paints a thousand words so I’ll shut up.

Here’s a very short (50 seconds ) video. (I spent too much time flying and chatting to use a camera)

http://vimeo.com/29568463

Keith

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 20:37:35 PM »
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
thanks to everyone who turned up on saturday  :D
it was a good days flying and we enjoyed every minute
shame about today we we're ready to go up the hill when the rain started

look forwards to next year see you all soon  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

johnfireball

• View Profile
fly in
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 00:57:17 AM »
Hi all,
       great Saturday, really enjoyed it, Great meeting all learned loads, many thanks to Fred for organising (by the way your flying is very impressive). Thanks to Keith(also great flyer who gave me the the encouragement to launch in what I consider winds to heavy for my abilities (effin ell)and  to John also who flight tested my Dg 1000 and gave me some good advice, (trying to sort out crow braking, with my old gear I need to reverse a servo and then it's sorted ) Sorry about your fox  c'est le vie. Look foreward to having another go and meeting all you likeminded oldfellows. By the way what a fab flying site.
Fair Winds,
John
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: fly in
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
Quote from: "johnfireball"
Look foreward to having another go and meeting all you likeminded oldfellows.

Oldfellows! What do you mean? John :shock:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 13:08:05 PM »
Once again, thank you all for coming  :clap:  :clap:
Another great week end, and even if the Sunday was unflayable at the southerly slopes, we still managed to have fun  :clap:  :D

I don't have much photos, and none if flight (crappy camera for that, and spent too much time flying anyway!  :D ), but here are most of the models present at the slope.

Saturday :

When we arrived at the slope, the top of the mountain was under the clouds, but after an hour or so, all the clouds suddently disappeared, and we even had blue skies and sun!
Perfect!  :D

The old guys from the Muppet Show.. Now they are 3... Unless Andrew is looking for something else...!  :D

We even had beers!...

And women!  :D

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 13:10:43 PM »
Oh, and the Destiny after a second attempt to DS this slope  :D

Need more ballast! The noise was nice, and the wings did not even touch the ground  :D  Nothing broken, thanks to the very soft ground where she landed!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 13:24:32 PM »
Saturday night...

Reflecting on the day at the slope, beside John Camping car

And the horses took over the slope just before we left...

Direction the Pub / B&B... and... Drink!!  :D

What to say... Well, you had to be there, but as usual, great craic!

The wall of shame :

Andrew :

Bill :

Richard :

John :

Andrew waiting for another round..

Talking girly stuff...

And bed! But Richard and Andrew had a beer contest, don't know who won!  :?:  But I believe they had a good night!  :D

Sunday morning :

Breakfast!

And off to the slope. When we arrived, weather was OK, a bit of low clouds, but looks like that was going to lift.
Horizon was clear. All models ready, and when we were going to make a move, rain came out of nowhere!
Thanks for John campingcar! Had a nice chat there, hoping for the weather to lift or give us a break. The rain stopped, but the low clouds did not gave us a chance to fly as we really had the minimum visibility!  :!:

Shame, as if the wind was West, we could have fly! Was sunny down there! The joy of slope soaring, but we still managed to have a good day chatting, and that was an early day off the slopes. I guess we earned a few brownies points for the next time!

Once again, thanks to everyone to attend the event  :clap:  We'll do even better next year, with lots of new gliders for the next season  :clap:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2011, 18:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the picies Fred, :clap:
Not too sure about “The old guys from the Muppet Show.” Bloody cheek!
And trust you to snap the girl with the wind up her dress Outrageous! :shock:  (Fancy wearing black tights with a grey skirt :roll: )
Shame about the Destiny, but then “Poo happens.” You'll have it back in the air soon enough.

Hopefully we'll get as good turn out in the spring, with a good blow onto the north slope! 8)  Well, I live in hope.

Keith

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Mount L next weekend
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2011, 21:28:12 PM »
As Keith said in an earlier post I took over 150 pics, unfortunately a lot of them are too dark or out of focus to be useable, (or show scenes of a distressing nature which shouldn't appear on this forum!). Here are the half decent ones and the best of the rest are on Picasa at : https://picasaweb.google.com/billscottuk/MtLeinsterSept?authuser=0&feat=directlink