Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 19887 times)

David Kelly

• View Profile
Beginner
« on: February 08, 2008, 22:14:41 PM »
Hello all,
I'm new to your forum and am happy to find others who are interested in RC slope soaring. Am also fairly new to this hobby, have taught myself to fly off the sand dunes on Donabate beach and bungee launch gliding/electric at the local park over the past year or so. I have a 1.2m Fling (Great Planes), and 1m Dragonfly Electric Park flyer (Cermark). Fairly basic ARTF kits but good for learning on.

If there is any flying this weekend Saturday or Sunday, weather forecast looks like SW, I'd like to come along if thats OK. Could you reply with site location and time and I'll try best to be there.

cheers
David :shock:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 22:22:46 PM »
Hi David,
Welcome to the forum !  :D

Peter planned to go flying in Glencree.
If you know where Kilakee is, just continue down the road, pass the Kilakee slope and drive for about 2 km. You will have a road junction going down to Glencree. The slope at this junction on the road is on your right !
Park around here.
We usualy go at the slope at around 2pm, but Peter may tell you is plan for Sunday.

Map and so on for the slope in the forum, or have a look here as well :
http://www.gliderireland.net/AroundDublin.htm

You will need to walk up the hill to fly, but nothing too serious !  :D
I may go, not for flying (well, I will bring a glider, we never know !
If I can get free for 1 hr or so !) so we can meet somewhere at some stage if you want.

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 22:31:48 PM »
Hi David - welcome also.

I hope to go out this weekend - wind looks as if it is very far south tomorrow which creates problems as we cannot use Killakee and Glencree only works if you walk up above the lake.  At the moment I am planning to go out Sunday afternoon (2.00ish) as the wind looks as if it will be more southeasterly and we can fly from the slope above the road at Glencree, although it looks pretty light so perhaps a day for a floater.  

I will post any change of plan.  See you on the slope sometime.

David Kelly

• View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 22:36:43 PM »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the reply, hopefully see some lads on Sunday around 2pm and perhaps yourself as well.
 :D

cheers
David

David Kelly

• View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 22:46:08 PM »
Cheers Peter,
The 1.2m Fling is a real floater so Sunday should suit me if its going to be fairly light winds. Quite fancy trying Howth head tomorrow if its going to be southerly, but dont know if herself will let me away for 2 days in a row.

David

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 22:49:44 PM »
Yes - it is an either/or for me too!  Have to try and judge which is going to be the best day!  See you.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
It is such a nice day today (Saturday) I cannot resist going out - Killakee car park at 2.15 and onwards.  May try tomorrow as well but given how light the wind is today and it is meant to slacken further, today might be better if from an awkward direction.

cvanscho

Beginner
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 18:52:19 PM »
Hi David

Welcome to the forum, nice to have another voice added to the gliding fraternity here!

I might see you only when we have get-togethers, as I live out in Kerry!

Chris

David Kelly

• View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 19:39:01 PM »
Thanks Chris,
Was in Dingle last Summer and did some nice gliding along dunes at Fahanmore Strand, a happy memory :) . Hopefully I'll meet you at some stage either in this direction or in Kerry.

cheers
David

David Kelly

• View Profile
Flying Sunday?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 19:41:57 PM »
Anybody flying Sunday, out at Glencree. Think the wind direction is SE tomorrow.

cheers
David

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 19:53:23 PM »
Wind was SSW today so the slope at Killakee was working well (and warm!) - got a good flight in.  Will try Glencree tomorrow at 2ish.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Beginner
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:07:23 PM »
Hiya David.
I see you made it onto the forum. Welcome.
So David/Peter any flying yesterday?

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Beginner
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 20:27:13 PM »
Good to meet you yesterday David.  We met up at Glencree at 2 to find the wind very far south.  So I put the Eliminator together and David his Fling and we walked up towards the lake, stopping on the low gradient heather-covered slope before the main steep slope down into the lake.  I wasn't sure whether this was going to work but it was great - plenty of lift.  We both clocked an hour in the air and sun even came out.  Very few people around - a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.  I am busy next Saturday, but might try to get out Sunday again.  Looks like the weather is going to be fairly settled for the next while.  What a day today - must have been great up on the slope.

cvanscho

Beginner
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 21:27:38 PM »
Seems it might have been a great day all over Ireland.  I managed to take a couple of hours out and flew at Mweelin in the SE.  Fantastic session - flew my Pike, M60 and Le Fish.  Sun was out the whole time.

Chris

David Kelly

• View Profile
Sunday
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
Hi Joe,
Yes we got out for about 2 on slope overlooking Lough Bray. Bit overcast and cool but otherwise a beautiful day. New experience for me flying in the mountains. Nearly all the flying I've done is from sand dunes and some bungee launch at park. Looking foward to doing some more and meet you there at some stage.

I'm tied up this Saturday but will be free on Sunday and will head down Wicklow direction if the weather is favourable.
Am going to Donabate strand this morning, wind looks easterly.

cheers
David