Author Topic: PSS Hawker Hunter FGA 9/Mk58 RAF Jet Fighter  (Read 18113 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
PSS Hawker Hunter FGA 9/Mk58 RAF Jet Fighter
« on: September 16, 2012, 21:31:08 PM »
Hi Guys

This is a new project to convert an EDF fly fly hunter into a PSS model. I have always had a love for the Hawker Hunter due to it's shape and also, it was the first jet aircraft i had ever seen back around 1965 as a kid. Recently I watched a fantastic display by a Hunter at the Newcastle airshow, therefore I decided to look for a kit was could be used as a PSS
glider.

(Hawker Hunter FGA 9/Mk58 RAF Jet Fighter) the model will be finished in these squadron colours.

I have in the past used the jets from the fly fly hobbies range ( see Mig 29 thread) which with a few changes to the kits, make good PSS models. I picked up a hunter kit for a good price (under £100) in a sale, all foam, off the web with the following specs:

Wingspan    : 1112mm
Length    : 1507mm
Wing Area    : 52 dm sq.
Flying weight    : 2100g

The model out off the box is a nice size and hopefully should build into a good sport scale model.

Out off the box, this model is a quick build, however I intend to glass over the foam airframe and give it a new part scheme, also I found that some of the parts are a little twisted and the surface finish of the foam is very rough, which I have not found with other fly fly jet kits, so a little fillers will be added to the surface before the glass cloth is applied.

The fuselage comes in two parts and has to be glued. I will add some cardon strips to reinforce the top of the fuselage as it appears a little weak around the joiner.

Just got a very nice hunter pilot from hobbyking was is the perfect size for the model.

Well that's it for now, tea time I think!!!!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 22:50:33 PM »
Just came across this photo on the hobby king forum, of a full size Hawker Hunter laying in a field at a paint ball centre near Dublin, should be in a museum, what a waste!

This hunter is located at Puddenhill Activity Centre, Moorepark, Garristown, Co Meath.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
So that’s what you’ve been up to JP.  You’re becoming, (or have always been) a PSS fanatic. I’m beginning to suspect that you were probably born with a PSS model in your hand. :lol:  Will it be ready for the Glide - In?
(Probably, knowing you!)

As for the full size Hunter laying dormant :cry: ………….Are you sure it’s full size? It looks rather small to be full size relative to the tyres in the background. Of course it could just be that the picture was taken with a telephoto lens and depth of field has been lost.
If it is full size, :?:  what say you that we rescue it and return it to full airworthiness?!!!!! 8)

Anyone got a spare couple of million? :!:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:40:02 AM »
Thought you were cutting back on projects JP?.

Looks very nice.

Agree with Keith about the relative size of the "full-size" to tyres, (miracles will happen, a Scotsman agrees with an Englishman!!).
Also noticed though that it has a cover in the jet pipe, which I've never seen on anything other than full size?

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 13:03:46 PM »
It looks like a model due to the photo's angle when taken, however, it is a full size hunter. here it's history:

E-402 Hunter F.51 Royal Danish Air Force

looking the worse for wear at Puddenhill Activity Centre, Co.Meath, Ireland.
This Hunter was retired from Danish service in 1976 and went to the Bournemouth Aviation Museum in 2000. It moved on to the Farnborough Air Science Trust in 2002 before it eventually made its way to Puddenhill in late 2006 - where it will most likely end up being scrapped.

also link to another photo : http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/4427198408/

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 15:25:14 PM »
Oh Bless!
That is such a shame :( . I’m not a great lover of jets but I feel the urge to have it picked up and shipped down to my place where at least I can cosmetically care for it. :D

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »
Very nice John!  :clap:  :clap:
Jets from the 50s are my favourites! And the Hunter is looking really good!

What about using G4 (or the ireland / UK equivalent) for the covering? Quick to apply, easy to paint, and really cheap.

As for how Ireland take care of its historical pieces, don't get me started!  :evil:

Would worth a try to ask if this plane can be recovered. Just a shame...
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 15:06:30 PM »
Hi Fred

Welcome back from sunny France, what is G4???, as for the hunter, the kit is very twisted and does not go together very well :x  however, I will make a few changes to the design, and hopefully the model will come out fine in the end. I intend to call into the centre on the way down some time,(close to the M1) and take a few photos of the hunter, if I can get permission from the centre manager.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 15:44:05 PM »
Hey John,

It is a water based PU/epoxy. We use that in big gliders to do the covering. 25g cloth with 2 or 3 layers of G4 (slow sanding inbetween) and ready for painting. Add a little bit of strenght, make the surface hard. Very easy to use, just brush, it's like water.
I think you call that Poly-C, but I'm pretty sure that Kevin Barry said that Ronseal do an equivalent here  :?:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 22:51:26 PM »
Thanks Fred, yes I now know what G4 is, I use Ploy-C for all the glass work on foam models. I will have to ask Barry about the ronseal product.
O.k I did a little work today on the Hunter, I decided to build the fuselage in two section, with the wings, now removable. The tail section will be glued in place and filled with light filler before the glass cloth is applied to the whole fuselage, which after a lot of cutting and twisting, is now solid.
I added some carbon rods to support the wings which in the kit had very little, also I managed to pick up the paints today from B&Q, great mixing service and cheap.

The fuselage, which is now in two sections, compared with the original six twisted sections :lol:

A little behind with this build at the moment, so I may not have it ready for BigL, however I do have the MDM Fox repaired and ready to go and also a new small L39 ready for test flight  along with the F14 for the fly in at Big L.  :P

3m mdm Fox ready to fly again.

Small L39 glass fuselage and foam wings.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
Well haven’t you been a busy little bee, JP…..(did you like the way that rhymed? :D ….no,  I didn’t think you would :( ) Are you sure there will be enough room in the your for a driver as well?
By the way John, where do you get your glass cloth from? I’m thinking of putting a layer between the foam core and obechi of my Mu.

Just returning to the Hunter. Are you putting “after burners” at the end of the jet pipe like you did with the Mig. In the darker Autumn skies that would look very cool! 8)

Keith

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 22:59:48 PM »
HI, just did a little work on the hunter tonight as follows:

I build the fuzelage and have filled in all the big thing so called panel links which are carved into the kit, using light filler. next the glass cloth will be applied

Drawing showing the side blisters on the Hunter.

The Hunter which i intend to model, has the side blisters on the bottom of the fuselage, however, the kit does not have any parts included, therefore I had to make a set using a small F16 canopy as a mould, and a two part foam solution, which when mixed, expands and forms a very hard unit.

Process of making a set of foam parts.

Parts pinned in place, the outline on the fuselage is far to big.

Fuselage ready for glass cloth and Poly-C.

O.K that's it for now Thanks!

JohnP

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 23:37:18 PM »
Hi John,
          Nice project, What's wingspan?
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
Hi John

The wingspan is 1112mm, just over a meter, as for the airfoil I think it may be the RG14 which is what fly fly use on most of there jets. I will see how the model flys first, before I think about cutting a new set of wings using the s3021 airfoil which is great for general soaring compared with the fast speed high winds RG14.

See you next weekend hopefully, bring the spit with you for a bit of dog fighting with my ME109 :wink:

By the way, and this is for Keith (what ever size):?: the Hunter did not have an after burner, however if you want it Keith, then your wish is my command \:D/

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:51 AM »
Quote from: "JohnPearson"

See you next weekend hopefully, bring the spit with you for a bit of dog fighting with my ME109 :wink:

Er,….. did someone mention combat flying! 8)  Yes please, count me in.  :D (If the wind’s are strong enough)
As for afterburners,……. go on JP, I thought they looked mighty impressive on that Mig. :clap:

‘Little’ Keith