Author Topic: slope sites: west of ireland  (Read 8920 times)

luke

• View Profile
slope sites: west of ireland
« on: August 02, 2008, 16:33:43 PM »
ok, going north along the coast, from lehinch co clare, theres a good place just north of liscannor, past the cliffs of moher, fanore has good dune soaring havent flown it yet but hoping to, black head by the light house absoloutly fantastic !!!! somooth out, only one thing though, very close to the road and no soft stuff to land on , so an epp model would be the job there, alternitavely a short trek up the hill behind the lighthouse is a good spot. slope is (W,NW,WSW)
THOUGH SAYING THAT pretty much all the west coast is very good for sloping, kinda like co kerry )  8)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum !  :D

Thanks for the input ! And you are right, there is a huge number of slopes in Ireland, particularely in the West, but it is also good to know what type of models you can fly on these slopes.
I have a friend living in Clare, I should try a few slopes around there when I go to visit her !
I'll take photos !  :D

As I said, with an EPP wing or a foamie, you have thousand of slopes.. With a 2 mtrs mouldy, you have a few left, and with big machines, only a handfull !  :!:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

luke

• View Profile
soft slope sites
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 22:48:17 PM »
hi fed thanks, happy to be here, i know another site thats a great all rounder tountinna above killaloe/balina its slope goes south west going all the way round to due west to north west, lots of soft heather to land on,
the model im flying is a j.perkins epp bullet, butt ugly but flies well  :lol:
im building a chris foss phase six at the moment, im at the covering stage, was kinda wandering if solar tex would be a tougher covering for this type of model than solar film, the other alternative would be glassing but i want to keep it light and im not terribly good at glassing  :?

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 07:43:02 AM »
Very nice views too around Killaloe/Balina !  :D

Solartex is thougher than solarfilm, but you will have a "fabric" finishing... Very good if you paint on it after as the solartex don't require any surface preps  :D  Very good for scale vintage models too...

You can also check for Oracover, more a plastic finish... But please, don't glass your Phase 6 !  :?  :P
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!