Author Topic: 2015 ISR Gliding events... and others!  (Read 18951 times)

selleri

• View Profile
2015 ISR Gliding events... and others!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Look Bill, I may be old but I certainly don’t remember Guy Fawkes :evil:  (circa 1600 )

That's what old age does to your grey cells mate!    :twisted:
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Re: Bring & Buy on Mt lienster???
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 08:26:36 AM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Bring & Buy on Mt Lienster?

I’m just wondering how that is likely to pan out. In my mind’s eye I’m seeing people loading their cars up with unwanted items, to bring them to a windy (or worse, possibly wet) mountainside to offer them for sale, knowing that they might actually sell precisely nothing and have to take all their “goodies” back with them and unload the car when they get home. :!:

I recon it would be better to have an “exchange of purchased items” at Big L rather than a bring & buy. How about this? :?: ……………

People who have items for sale take a picture of them,…..(the items for sale I mean, not a picture of themselves! :shock: ) (I though I’d just explain that for the benefit of any foreigners who might intend to come along :roll: ) and post a description here on the forum. What I mean is, the potential seller takes a single picture of all, or a lot of the items he intends to sell. This will save taking (and posting) lots of individual pictures of the items for sale.
People who want to know more about a single item can ask for further info on line and if the seller wants to, they can post individual pictures of those items the potential buyer has expressed interest in.

Then,…………..if buyer and seller agree a price, the rest is obvious. If buyer and seller don’t agree a price, or the buyer wants to see the item in the flesh, the seller takes the item to the glide in with a fair knowledge that he might get a sale on the day.

This way sellers will only have to load the actual items that they have a reasonable chance of selling. This will leave more room for models that they intend to fly. :D

Anyone got any (civilized ) comments?

Little Keith

Howdy Keith,  (sorry, catching up :) )

All good points, but this is something that has been asked for me to do regularly. Cost nothing to organise, so why not :)
For photo sales etc, there is the for sale section on the forum which is working OK I believe, but some people, might prefer to see the stuff in the flesh, especially when you go up in scale / size / money.

We already have a few trades going on when we meet at the slope, people bringing stuff for sale etc, so why not making it "official" if you see what I mean  :D And at the beginning of the season, seems sensible, that allow the buyers to then break their new toys during the year  :P
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 23:17:00 PM »
Hi Fred et all,
   How long a runway is needed for aerotow? Perhaps could investigate organising something in Shankill.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Hey John,

Why not, everything is open!
I think, on top of my head, the Shankill field is big enough (haven't been up there in years!).

Can also be handy if I could use the field for an hour or two to test the tow planes when they are ready :)

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
John our strip at the Buzzards is 90metres long and the tow rope
 I use is just over 30 metres and we have no problems  :D
I was able to get Fred's big ASW 15b in the air  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 17:21:19 PM »
Hi Fred/Andrew,
                     I will have a word with club secretary and measure runway lengths, perhaps you flew in the old field Fred. When towplane ready Fred mail me and will organise tests.
John.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 08:16:15 AM »
Thanks John :)

I'll let you know when I have something ready (in a few months!)
Very early morning flights, to avoid the potential shame :)

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 16:12:53 PM »
Hi Fred,
         No Problem, and I'm sure it will be fine. Looking at your design with tricycle undercarriage I think you may have problems getting it to unstick from the ground unless flaps are used. I had this problem with a trainer as the wing incidence was zero degrees to ground when on it's wheels. I cured by converting to a taildragger. I think an Opto Isolater is also required with a petrol engine or use separate batteries.
John.

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 17:39:01 PM »
If it's not required by a local law/rules you don't need an opto. However it doesn't hurt!
I've run both 35 and 2.4 systems with and without opto.isolators.

If you are not going to use an opto have the radio part of the system at least 25cm from any part of the ignition system, it worked well on the pcm systems plus 2.4 isn't as suspectable to interference from the ignition system as 35 was.

That being said, above 50cc I use optos and dual batteries!
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Quote from: "johnfireball"
Hi Fred,
         No Problem, and I'm sure it will be fine. Looking at your design with tricycle undercarriage I think you may have problems getting it to unstick from the ground unless flaps are used. I had this problem with a trainer as the wing incidence was zero degrees to ground when on it's wheels. I cured by converting to a taildragger. I think an Opto Isolater is also required with a petrol engine or use separate batteries.
John.

Hi John,

Same as Sverrir.

As for the Take off, no worries, incidence etc all set :)
Have flaps too.

Another trick for the incidence on 3 wheelers, is to put a bigger wheel at the front to increase incidence :)

jumbo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
Looking forward to the March fly in, hopefully can get a few free hours between now and then to actually get something into a flyable state  :!:  :!:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 15:02:45 PM »
Hi all,
Remember this weekend, this is our season opening with PSS Over Ireland.
The event is also open to all gliders of course, and we will even have a wee Bring and Buy attempt! Get you gears ready, dust off your gliders, and see you all in a few days!
Oh, and I'll bring the barbecue of course! (might need it to keep us warm!)