Author Topic: Nice landing zone in Wexford  (Read 7876 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Nice landing zone in Wexford
« on: November 20, 2016, 19:09:53 PM »
Facing south and out to sea the top of the cliff is about 50 feet above the sea, so maybe not the greatest amount of lift but enough to fly most models. Looking north the landing zone couldn't be better. That stone wall is at least 200 yards away and the grass is soft and springy without a rock in sight!

So where is this place? Just east of the Hook Lighthouse, at the end of the Hook peninsular in southern most Co Wexford. At the Lighthouse there are toilets and a cafe which are open every day of the year except xmas and St Stephens day. :)

And the down side??....... If your model goes "In the drink" there is no way of recovering it. The cliffs are a shear drop to a rocky shore line. :(

But one day I might be tempted............. ;)

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nice landing zone in Wexford
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 19:12:18 PM »
This picture seemd to get missed from the previous post >:(

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »
Looking good Keith, especially the landing area!
Can you show the location on a map for us tourists? :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:03:56 AM »
The arrow marked "A" is the old  (Still working) lighthouse. "B" is a gate, (Not always open I'm told) that leads directly into the fields beside the lighthouse. If the gate is locked you might need to walk over the rocks around the south of the lighthouse to get to the fields. It's not too difficult, there is a kinda 'path' where thousands of people have walked over the rocks. It looks a little daunting at first  but like I say thousands have done it. (Even old codgers like me!)
Once you're in the field east the Lighthouse the flying can begin! To get to other fields above the cliffs follow the arrow marked "C". As can be seen there is a well worn pathway all along the cliff tops. The area should be flyable in South to SE winds I'd say.

Not wishing to seem to be 'talking this place up'....there are conducted tours of the lighthouse, a warm cafe serving hot food & drinks, plenty of space for the kids to run around and a Kilometer up the peninsular (North) from the lighthouse if Loftus Hall......The most haunted house in Ireland. So if you wanted to made a day out with the kids and wife, they could pop off to be entertained by the local 'celestial  inhabitants' of Lofftus Hall while you enjoyed the somewhat more earthly pleasures above the cliffs near the lighthouse.

Personally I wouldn't want to risk flying any of your big scale models there Fred, because as I said there would be no way to recover them if they went into the sea and the cliffs are not likely to produce a vast amount of lift. But it could make a "Sunday out for you and the family.
(Incidentally, Lofftus Hall is only open in the summer months)

I might take my powered foamy or the Skua down there sometime soon.

Keith

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Keith,
   just a small point, we have a site called "the Step". Launching here is quite dangerous as ther is usually a rotor effect just at the boundary between the cliff edge and the air above it. A swift , hard launch is required to break through this.

Happy flying

Rogallo
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:57:23 AM »
Thanks for the warning Ralph ;)

I was thinking actually. (I do that from time to time as it doesn't hurt very much and costs me nothing) The lift (and launching) could be tested with a cheap foamy, and if all went well a more eleborate model could be flown I s'pose.

Keith