Author Topic: EASA  (Read 4487 times)

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
EASA
« on: March 18, 2018, 18:33:09 PM »
Reading RCM&E last night and I got to the "EASA Speaks" article. Reading through it and I'm thinking , yep all looks good. Until - "There will be a default height limit on model aircraft operations of 120m (approx 400ft).

As a glider flyer that rang alarm bells. We start at around that height and hope to go higher! On the continent scale aerotowing is huge and I can't see them being too pleased with a 120m limit.

Anybody know if there are exceptions to the 120m?

Noel

• View Profile
Re: EASA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 20:40:25 PM »
Hi Bill f3A have permission to fly higher at all MACI competitions, But that 400ft rule is in vogue for many years , yet we do fly higher  always Regards
Noel

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Re: EASA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 15:58:10 PM »
I for once, agree that all clubs/fields should be registered.
This is done everywhere else in Europe, and putting you on a map, other than making your existence official to the authorities, gives you some advantages:

> Defend your slope etc against "invaders". It's hard to claim this patch your "own" for another group of flyers if you can historically prove you were here "first". Numerous example in France where paragliders tried to gain access to slopes, and it was only refused to them because the glider club was registered here first with the DGAC (IAA)

> You are on a map.. Other sky users know where you are, and this can open the door to exemptions. I do not know of any registered club that is not allowed the go over the 120m in Europe when they ask. You have general exemptions, and meeting ones (with NOTAM).

Now, saying that, the 120m rule in Ireland is far from new.. And that never, ever stopped any modeling activities, so why should it continue now?  ;)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!