Author Topic: Hello Everyone.  (Read 9048 times)

easyglider

• View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« on: July 18, 2009, 16:05:23 PM »
hi guys...
New to the Glider scene im a nitro convert.... :?:
Anyway i have been slope soaring for about 2 months now probably flying bout 5 days a week, my trusted companion untill last night has been an Easyglider Multiplex which has taken my landing mishaps quiet well although Sorell hill claimed another victim in a stiff breeze last night.... :!:

Im in the market for a new glider can anyone give some advice on what they would buy as a second glider....???? im flying off a mountain so it would need to be able to cope with some tuff landings into the heather...
im also thinking about upping the wing span from 1.8m to maybe 2.6 or even three..... :lol:  would any of u more experience guys recommend this if not can u please advise..........????? :wink:

Thanks in advance guys...
PaddyD

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 17:57:10 PM »
Hi Paddy and welcome to the party. I'm glad you've decided to come over to the civilized way of rc flying. Good Call! :clap:

I've only been flying a short while myself so I'll let others give you the advise you're asking for. :wink:

Like you, I lost the first glider I ever flew. What made matters worse is that it wasn't mine! :oops: :oops:

I'm down near Enniscorthy,  Mt. Lienster is my normal flying haunt. Do you ever venture that far south?

Stong winds and heavy models are my favorite situations. :D Yippppeeee

There's a fly-in at Mt. L. in September. Hope to see you then if not before.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 21:36:58 PM »
Hi Paddy. Welcome to the forum.
I fly from lacken too, but I have not got the chance to fly their for while.  Have been spending all my time trying to finish a scale glider I have been building. There is a good few other people who fly their too.
There is another glider from Multiplex thats like the easyglider that has a wingspan of around 2.6m. It's called the Cularis. Island Models stock it,  www.islandmodels.ie

easyglider

• View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 22:43:14 PM »
Hi alan thanks for the info..... have flown with up in lacken with a polish guy called pavel very nice guy from naas too and big into his gliders........

I have checked out the cularis and it looks good would it have the same flying characteristics as the easyglider....????
i have had a look at a few online and have also been chatting to norman in greenhobby he had mentioned the Pilates b4, any views on this...????
i must say i really like the 2.65m Discus CS Terran with the landing retracts and airbrake system (anything to help slow your landing approach would benefit me) would this be out of my debth or are the big birds just the same to fly as 1.8m...???
bigger wing area = more lift no...??? :wink:

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »
I have a Pliatus B4. I got it from Norman. Its a good glider. But it not for the inexperienced. Mine is damaged at the moment because I few it too slow and it tip stalled and then went into a spin into the ground. The damage is repairable but I have not had the time to repair it yet. That's what happens when you fly low and slow.
When it comes to the size of the glider, I have heard people say that the bigger the glider is the easier it is to fly. I have no experience with this yet but when I finish my 3.75m 1/4 Scale K8 I think I'll will find out.

easyglider

• View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
i had a look at the picture treads u posted on the build u've undertaken wow what a glider it is too.....

Fair play to take some plans and cut all the pieces and take on an assembly like that. It seems like a mammoth task. well done.

I would be interested in assembling a glider my self but for my first attempt i might just stick to a kit build.... paitence is not something i have lots of  :?:

do you have any idea when you will have it covered and ready for her first flight...???

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 13:48:58 PM »
I hope to have the K8 ready within the next two to three weeks. That is of course if everything goes according to plan. Since this is the first time i have built something this big things don't always go according to plan.

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 18:34:04 PM »
Hi Paddy.

DaveMc Here. I fly 4m models regularly here in the west on our local slope tounntine. Have been flying for over 10 years now. If you want a piece of advice regarding the type of glider you could choose to fly here is some 2p worth of it.

If the landing area is rough choose a T-tail design. That way the stab and elevator is less likely to get badly snagged up in the heather. I tore the elevator off a 4m fox like this.

Wingspan is all... There is no substitute. The more wing you have the better.

Brakes are a must. Either conventional airbrakes or better still crow braking. This is where the flaps go down and the ailerons go up and the elevator goes down to compensate for the ballooning effect of the flaps. You need a computer tranny to do this and at least 8 channels. Not all gliders can do it.

Choose a model with flaps if you can. It helps a lot in lighter lift and can also give you the added benefit of crow brakes.

And yes the bigger models fly better.

check out www.modellhobby.de for some nice gliders

Cheers
D.
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

easyglider

• View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 21:54:33 PM »
thanks for the advice dave.....
im currently using a digital graupner jr
she has proved to be a good buy but a bit of a dog to programme....

as for the glider i too think more wing = best

but every one is telling me keep the wingspan short due to difficulties landing but would i be right in saying if u have airbrakes landing difficulties are zero.......???? :?:

the guy i have been flying with gave me a demo today on how effective the flaps down and airleron up system works in a 12ms wind he was able to drop his glider at his feet into the lift.....

but all that said im still a newbie to gliding my maci a cert in powered flight is merely toilet paper when it comes to gliding the principles of flight are totally different ie: no engine to get you out of trouble.... :cry:

what do you think of the multiplex cularis as a second glider as my first was the easy glider 1.8....??? it has the full flap assembly with the added benefit of elapor construction( handy for my dodgy landings)

your 10 years soaring experience is something you cannot buy mate so i will take any advice you have seriously......

thanks again dave
paddy d

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 22:27:19 PM »
Hiya Paddy.
Welcome to the forum. As Dave says more wing flies better but, having said that smaller flying wings and aerobats are a lot of fun too!

There is truth to bigger gliders are more difficult to land but it is more a question of more weight and inertia. When that stops suddenly it can cause damage. It's probably when you get it wrong that you see the difference. Not such a problem with sport machines as they are usually fairly light for the wing size. Scale sailplane can be a lot heavier for the same span.

I haven't flown a Cularis but it seems like a bigger version of the Easyglider with flaps. If you are happy with Elapor/EPO and it is standing up to the landings then maybe the Cularis is the way to go.

It kinda depends on what you are looking for Paddy? Sport, Scale,Speed Aerobatic?

There are still a few balsa models out there, a good few foam (Elapor/EPO) and hundreds of fibreglass fuse/balsa/foam wing models.
I would ask want kind of performance looking for and then weigh that up agents toughness.

Sorry Paddy this probably hasn't helped!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 13:05:15 PM »
Hi Paddy,

Welcome to the forum!  :D

As said earlier, the bigger, the better, and for a second model, I don't think the B4 is a good choice really, but you can keep that one in mind for later.
Cularis, with its versatility sound like a much better choice if you don't mind flying an elapor model like the EG, the main thing here is to pull hours of practice with a good flying machine, and almost full house (sorry Dave, I think airbrakes are much better than crows for slope soaring  :P  :P , another debate, but we can settle that with a good fight at the slope, P51 waiting to produce EPP flakes !  :P  :lol:  )
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 15:04:50 PM »
Paddy,

Just checked out Cularis... Looks a good choice. Should be a doddle to fly. And you can experiment with flaps and crow braking etc... Just down to a question of weather or not you like foamies or glass or all built up?? But that model will serve you well either way.

If there is one thing I have observed while flying gliders is there is no such thing as the perfect one. The conditions can change on you and all of a sudden the 20+mph wind that was flying your 4m scale model slackens off and you have to land in a hurry. Then you change to the 100" all built up model with a polyhedral wing and your flying in 8mph winds... only for it to get even lighter again by the end of the evening, and your now flying a 3m electric thermalling sailplane. That is why most glider guiders arrive up to the hill top with a car full of models. That and an obsessive compulsion to build and fly more and more models than any one man needs.. we all suffer from that bug  :wink:

So get yourself a Cularis to start with and learn to fly slope. You are right. It is different to flying power but you will learn a hell of lot more about flight in the process. And the views are something else. Later on you can collect a fleet from a foamie combat wing to a 4m scale full house job.

see ya on the hills
D
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

easyglider

• View Profile
Hello Everyone.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 18:59:11 PM »
Sorry guys just back home from holidays was away for bout 2 weeks.....
but before i left i did go ahead and order the cularis from norm down in green marine so im hopin its ready to pick this week at some stage....!
http://www.multiplexusa.com/models/kits/cularis_.php
If anyone wants to take a look....
It has some very nice gadgets lovely demo of them putting it through it paces there too.