Author Topic: enter the gliderstien :-)  (Read 5829 times)

luke

• View Profile
enter the gliderstien :-)
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
long before i understood slope soaring i bought a reasonably cheap glider , called a protec malibu. as you can imagine it didnt spend long in the air, first time out i broke the fuz but the wings were ok  :oops: . Had them there for a while and was thinking of chasing up another kit, but after looking at the way the phase 6 was constructed and doing a little research on the general dimensions of glider fuz`s , i decided to have a go at building my own.I built the fuz sides out of lite ply with 3/8 longeons going the length of the fuz,i also had the wing tips of another scratch built glider that went horribly wrong  :!: , so i spliced the wing of that on to the wing of the protec malibu (wingspan 2.4m) original span 1.7m .And with a little unfounded worrying about tail area it was finally ready. i flew it last thursday evening in a 7mph breeze, joy it flies  :D  but never having flown a rudder elevator model before proved very intersting , yawing all over the sky in a semi controlled fashion  :lol:
im just wandering would it be suitable or light enough for thermal soaring??
as you can see from the pic , i think i was a little generous with the tail/stab area
FINAL DIMS
wingspan 2.4m
weight      900g/1000g

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 19:04:09 PM »
WELL,…Look at you, pick and mixing. It’s good that you have the intuition to try it. :D

Fred is the guy to advise about the correct dimensions and size of surfaces, but well done you for having a go! :clap:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 20:38:31 PM »
thanks keith, if you didnt see it in your last post , well wear with your phase 6  :D
Unfortunately my phase 6 is no more , i could give excuses about conditions ect, but at the end of the day it was BAD flying, the gliderstein will keep me going anyways until i figure if i will go for another one or something else

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 21:56:36 PM »
Hiya Luke
Not sure about the dimensions but it looks good to me. Looks like a perfect light lift/thermal model. Great work on the new fuse.
Rudder elevator models do take a bit of getting used to flying wise. You have to be a little gentle with them from what i remember to avoid that big yawing affect! (or is that effect?)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 18:41:06 PM »
I’m sorry to hear about your Phase 6 Luke.. :cry:  :cry:

May be you’ll enjoy the world of “Floaters”. :)  But I have a sneaky suspicion that before too long you’ll want to get some ’Action’ . :twisted:  Time will tell I suppose.

(How about buying another Phase 6 and fitting twin aileron servos? :D  Or making it with a full house wing :D  :D …..and hence crow braking for landings?)

I’ll let you know how I get on with mine.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

luke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
thanks lads,
                  she`s balancing at the 35% mark but flying, it seems to need a bit more lead, (elevator a little on the sensitive side) .
yeah i think your right keith , i do enjoy a little bit of lively flying  :twisted: , but mabey i might go with my original idea of going with the middle phase advanced (with ailerons) this time, ah we`l see