Author Topic: Hello from the U.S.  (Read 23257 times)

Brian

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 19:21:43 PM »
Hi,
We are not at all squeamish here.
We shoot deer and deer-hunters.
We do not like to discriminate.

Brian  :mrgreen:
Serious Power

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Deer pics
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 06:01:13 AM »
"."
Still learning after all these years

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 08:45:11 AM »
Hey Tracy and welcome. :)

Nice pics of models there... i especially like the Bird of Time cradled on the telemaster... would love to give that a try someday.

Was involved in shooting myself for about 5 years. Your son looks very happy, i bet you were a proud man that day. :)

Anywho, really enjoyed reading this thread.

later
D.
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

DaveMc

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:14 AM »
And btw... i have seen wild deer on our local slope Tounntine (Gerry b has already mentioned it to you). I have stalked them with camera only tho  :wink:

I remember my first ever glider flight under Gerry's supervision. I built a Spirit 100 from Great Planes. Was 1999 i think. I was a bag of nerves but once i got the hand of it i managed to fly it for about 40 minutes solo.. I thought i was going really well until i got it into some sink and crashed landed it half way down the valley... hehe... no damage tho. got lucky.

I had my video camera that day and I took some nice flying shots... then i saw 3 Deer crossing the slope a little further up from us and got them on camera... never forget it.

cheers
D.

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 15:14:37 PM »
Chris and all those offended,
      Please forgive me for posting the hunting pictures, as for training my children to take delight in the killing of animals, that is certainly not my intention. The smiles on their faces are not for the  killing of the animal, but in knowing they've helped provide meals and to help take some strain off of the continued tightening of ones budget. We take hunting very seriously here as a means of providing for ones family. Everyone, and I mean Everyone who hunts here in our state, is required to complete a week long hunters education course on the safety and ethical killing of big game. It is a very stringent course that teaches the handling of firearms, when and when not to shoot, and a written test at the conclusion of the course. I've taken them out to practice shooting on targets and KNOW their abilities, I also make sure I get them close enough to make an ethical kill. So the delight is not in the killing but in the helping out of our family.  I am very grateful for being able to use high power rifles to hunt with as it makes the taking of big game quick and efficient.  Believe me, I take no joy or delight in taking the animals, I do however, enjoy the fact in knowing that we have a freezer full of meat and know where are next meal is coming from.  So again, to all those offended, please forgive me for the post it won't happen again, respectfully FF

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Re: Cradle launch
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 16:20:58 PM »
Dave,
      Thanks for the welcome, and yes I was very proud of my boys for adding to the freezer.
     The glider launching from the plane has been fun and scary, the very first time I did it was with a 6foot span Telemaster and carried up a Goldberg Gentle Lady.  I didn't have and out riggers for the glider wingtips and with the polyhedral of the wing, the rubber bands holding it on stretched and the glider tipped to one side and was touching the plane wing and causing all sorts of aerodynamic problems.  When I added the wing supports it made a huge difference, but the plane seemed to be a bit small for the task. I used to fly that same plane on floats, so much in fact I ended up soaking the center section with prop spray and one day the wing failed by folding in half :shock: no more Telemaster .40. So I replaced it with the Senior Telemaster, Added the wing supports to  it, plus some lights for night flying and it works much better.  It's still funny to see the Bird of Time on it with the tips protruding 12" past each wing tip.  But it works great for taking up planes to search for thermals.  I would like to try to tow one up as I've never done that, the scary thing about that is the pilot your towing, I think they could have a disasterous effect on the tow plane :o. But hey, I'm game if my brothers are, they're the ones that have to put the tow release in their planes. If we end up doing it I'll let you know how it goes. By the Way, my wife's eyebrows raised when I told her you were a bakery owner, she really likes to cook and bake.Tracy.

DaveMc

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 17:14:43 PM »
hehe, don't mention the buns  :wink: If i manage to make it to a gliding meet over here with the lads i am obliged by law to bring buns.  :wink:

cheers
D.

Brian

• View Profile
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 19:08:40 PM »
Quote from: "Freedom Flyer"
Chris and all those offended,
      Please forgive me for posting the hunting pictures, as for training my children to take delight in the killing of animals, that is certainly not my intention. The smiles on their faces are not for the  killing of the animal, but in knowing they've helped provide meals and to help take some strain off of the continued tightening of ones budget. We take hunting very seriously here as a means of providing for ones family. Everyone, and I mean Everyone who hunts here in our state, is required to complete a week long hunters education course on the safety and ethical killing of big game. It is a very stringent course that teaches the handling of firearms, when and when not to shoot, and a written test at the conclusion of the course. I've taken them out to practice shooting on targets and KNOW their abilities, I also make sure I get them close enough to make an ethical kill. So the delight is not in the killing but in the helping out of our family.  I am very grateful for being able to use high power rifles to hunt with as it makes the taking of big game quick and efficient.  Believe me, I take no joy or delight in taking the animals, I do however, enjoy the fact in knowing that we have a freezer full of meat and know where are next meal is coming from.  So again, to all those offended, please forgive me for the post it won't happen again, respectfully FF

Hi Tracy,
Deer hunting/stalking is very widespread and popular here.
Just about all of our mountain slopes have tree plantations on then.
The shooting rights to ALL of these, except for some small privately owned areas, are leased out annually to clubs and individuals.
So actually the hunters here own the right to be on the hills they stalk while many of us just turn up and toss off a model and hope it is ok.It generally is a 'common law' normally applies.
Here the deer are 'pests' with growing numbers so the hunters are behind the curve.
Fishing and hunting are big tourist attractions here, especially the fishing.

Brian
Serious Power

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
Hey Tracy,

Don't be sorry for posting these hunting photos, and I hope that will not put you off this forum.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

surfimp

• View Profile
    • http://www.slopeaerobatics.com
Hello from the U.S.
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 13:48:58 PM »
Hi Tracy - I believe I flew power once with your brother Arlen over in the Paradise Valley - have always enjoyed Montana and love flying on the Hogsback in the valley (great lift! but a bit of a hike!)

Anyways I'll be back up that way this summer and would love to come fly Table Top with you. Looks perfect for VTPR. And I promise I'm not an elitist, either ;)

Steve