Author Topic: Hi from a newbie:)  (Read 11386 times)

Alanm

• View Profile
    • http://Www.alanmooney.ie
Hi from a newbie:)
« on: January 09, 2012, 20:11:11 PM »
Hey all, don't know if I fit into this section or some other, just re-started in rc after a fair few years absence. Recently bought a nine eagles sky climber, a nice powered glider and have had my first few successful flights, hooked to say the least:) In the process of joining my local club and thought I'd search out some active forums and say hi:)

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 20:43:52 PM »
Welcome to the Asylum!

Plenty of good, unpretentious advice available here from a great bunch of guys.

Enjoy the hobby

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 21:48:38 PM »
Hi Alanm, and like Bill said, welcome aboard the forum. :D

So what type of rc flying did you used to do? :?:

Personally I’m mostly into slope soaring. Still learning, but at least I’m buying proper kindling now,  instead of using crunched models to light the fire! :lol:

Show us a picture of your plane why don’t you? :wink:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alanm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 22:10:42 PM »
Thanks guys! Nice welcome indeed:)
Good unpretentious advice is just what I'm looking for, used to forums where quite the opposite is true!
Keith I used to have a petrol high wing trainer, a precedent hiboy or something like it, seriously underpowered, horribly built(by myself I admit) and an absolute pig in the air. Eventually got passed crashing it into the ground and made a few flights out of it. Then built a scale sopwith pup which I never got the nerve to fly before leaving the whole rc hobby behind me for a few years.

Recently decided to get back into it but was apprehensive as I'd only got memories of me crashing so I chose a nice slow powered glider to learn on and hit phoenix simulator for a few days before taking the glider out. (I'll try get a pic of it up 2moro) made 4or5 good flights with decent landings and was delighted with myself!
How long have you been slope soaring for? What plane have you got now that your passed making kindling too?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
You made the right choice with the eagles climber.  Nice stable bird and easy to repair if you need to. :wink:  She’s quite like a  Multiplex Easy Glider I had some time ago.
I actually learnt to fly gliders with a combat wing. Incredibly robust, and good fun when flying ‘in combat’ with other pilots. :twisted:  The only down side is that they tend to be very elevator sensitive. I had to put in loads of exponential to ‘soften’ the elevons control.

The present love of my life, apart from ‘er in doors, (I had to write that in case she reads this post :roll: ) is my Phase 6, all-be-it a much modified Phase 6, pictured here.

Anyway, enough about me,…………….whereabouts do you fly Alanm? Are you interested in flat field gliding, (thermal) or slope soaring?

We tend to have two of three Glide-Ins a year  down on the Blackstairs mountains in Co. Wexford. (Mt. Lienster actually.) Next one will be due around mid March. :P  So there’s something to prepare yourself for.
 By the way,…….Will you be having another go with your Sopwith Pup? Or did you dispose of it when you ‘ Had a rest from model flying?’

I’ve found that in this hobby you need to be very tenacious. “If at first you don’t succeed,……repair the bugger & try again.” is the best motto. :lol:

As for the question of how long have I been flying? I flew my first model plane on the 22nd December 2007. A date that will be forever etched in my mind. It was an electric powered Cessna trainer. I managed to keep it up for about five minutes, (the plane I’m talking about Alanm :roll: ) before handing the control tx to my instructor who then landed it for me. I got my A Cert the following spring, and then discovered to gliding!!! My powered planes don’t get used very much now although it’s nice to take them up for a change.

So that’s the story…………..

Keith

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 16:43:08 PM »
Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forum!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 23:06:09 PM »
hi alan, welcome to the forum.

i fly on tountinna which is near ballina/killaloe on the ballina side of lough derg.  if you're ever in the area, send me a message and maybe we can meet up.

Alanm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Thanks Fred & Gerry! Appreciate your offer to fly sometime Gerry, very kind of you and I may take you up on it sometime. If I can ever swing a fishing/flying trip in the lough derg area I'll give you a shout. The missus is at me about becoming an RC widow, so we'll see what happens!

don't know if this will work, but hopefully here is a pic of the sky climber, after it's first flight repairs, in which it took a horrible nose dive into the ground very shortly after flight, easily repaired thankfully! I later found out that the aileron channel was reversed, my bad:(

Keith, that's a nice looking glider of yours, what mods have you made to it?

I'm mostly into flat field flying, but it is early days and I might drop down to one of your glide ins this year, always good to see what's going on.
I never did get back to the sopwith pup, my real love is scale flying so hopefully I'll get something scale flying this year, I think the pup got lost in one of my house moves.
I have been flying in a friends fields in Laois and Kildare upto now, until I'm in the local club anyhow, then I'll have to fly with an instructor for a bit.

I get around the country a lot with work so I'm hoping to lug a plane with me and fly in a few diff locations once I have that test thingy passed and am allowed on my own;)

Alan

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 21:00:47 PM »
It’s my understanding that, provided you have third party insurance, you can fly on your own now Alan. :D
Indeed, I think it’s fair to say that may be as many as 50 % of the pilots at our glid-ins haven’t past any certificate.

You get insurance through MACI. I think it’s about 80 or 90 euro per year. One of the conditions that MACI insist that you are a member of a recognised club, but being a member of this forum enables you to claim membership of the Ireland Slope Rebels club, so that is that matter settled. The forums’ moderator, Fred, can get the insurance for you. (Good ‘ol Fred. He’s a very useful fellow to know. :wink:  He’s been in this hobby since,….er…..well I’m not sure. Probably since ABBA or there abouts! :roll: ) Anyway, once you’ve paid for your MACI membership, and got a card from them to prove it, you’ll get a MACI registration number. Put that on your plane (see the picture of my model and you’ll see IRL 4906 on the right wing half) and off you go!!!

If you ever intend to be down Wexford way with your plane in the car let me know. If the wind is right we can take a trip up to Mt. Lienster to sample the delights of slope soaring. 8)

Keith

Alanm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 21:28:59 PM »
Fair play, thanks Keith! If I don't get accepted for the club I'll give Fred a shot and get my maci membership through him.
Thanks for the offer of flying in Wexford, I have some work in Wexford in the middle of march so I'll try and make it to that glide-in if it's around the same time or maybe give you a shout and you can show me the wonders of slope soaring:)
Alan

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 15:16:07 PM »
Hey Alanm,
     I'm new to this forum as well, except  I'm a little bit farther to the  SouthWest than these boys your visiting with. I found it interesting that you would comment on the the friendliness of other forums as I have experienced that as well.  I have visited quite a few different ones here in the states and am amazed at the  arrogance and elitism of some of those from the sloping world.  I've found just the opposite of those outside the U.S. Are we Americans really that snobbish?  I did find one forum in Southern California where the guys are as friendly as can be but have had no luck anywhere else  :? .  So I want to say thanks to all of you guys reading this for being as welcoming as you have. FF
Still learning after all these years