Author Topic: Slope maiden  (Read 17003 times)

Anonymous

Slope maiden
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:52:51 AM »
Hi guys!

Thought I'd share my first slope experience!

I am a complete newbie to slope soaring, and have recently purchased an EPP model (Windrider EasyPro) to learn the ropes. I have also been scouting around my area (Co. Kerry, Ireland) for slopes with potential, and recently found one almost right on my back yard! Its just 2.5km up the valley from my house in Ballymacelligott.  I found out the farmer who owns it, and he's happy to let me fly there.

The other day it all came together! There was a light SW wind generally, but it was surprisingly strong up at this slope. Chucked the plane off, and JOY, it's a dream, and the slope works really well too. The only downside is there are some pine trees at one side, and its a small area, not suited to big or very fast planes. There is a fantastic landing zone - a big, soft flat pasture. There is even a nice ridge for shelter right at the edge of the cliff!

This has to be the best fun I've had yet in my (limited) experience with RC (or with my clothes on)!

Hope you can enjoy the photos (even the radical right turn launch was sucessfuly recovered!) in the following post:

http://www.rctalk.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3719

Chris

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Slope maiden
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:29:13 PM »
=D>

Well done Chris !
And the slope looks very good as well !  =P~
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:44 PM »
Yes I agree. Well done Chris =D> . I love to fly that slope some day myself =P~. Love the new smily faces Fred  :mrgreen: .

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks Alan !  \:D/
Was not easy to install  ](*,)

But we are getting there !

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
:D  :D  =P~  =P~  :lol:

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Slope maiden
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 01:15:32 AM »
Hiya Chris
Like the pics.Get into gliding and find a perfectly good slope around the corner.How good is that!
I know the feeling.I remember being so excited by my first few slope flights.Just be careful.It's very addictive  :D
Welcome to the board and the ISR!
Thanks for writing the blog.If only i could get the rest of them to right one!

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 15:37:10 PM »
Thanks for the kind responses, guys!

I've been lucky enough to fly at that slope a few more times, and am very pleased to find that, although it faces south-westerly, it works great in a westerly as well!  Must be something to do with the valley that channels the wind.  I have also been up there (sans plane) to check and it seems the southerlies also work well!  Am I a lucky puppy or what?? :D   I can also report that the trees are a bit of a problem though(guess how I found that out?).

Another slope near Currow (Townland = Currowross) that I spotted some time ago (actually spotted it from the air - we were doing some aerial photography for work) has also been tried out.  South westerlies only, but there are no trees, and the wind strength seems to be identical to the Valentia reports (I luckily have a decent windmeter bought for windsurfing).  It can also be accessed by car all the way to the top, and the lady who owns the land is fine with the use for gliding.  I have photos but don't know how to post them on this forum.

What I'm finding now is that the wind here tends to be all or nothing, and I need a glider better suited to the "all" conditions :lol:.  I've loaded up the EasyPro with ballast, but there are limits to the penetration that can frame can achieve before it just becomes a foam rock :( .  I would welcome suggestions for a suitable model.  (It must look like a plane though, I'm not a fan of flying wings).

Cheers

:wink: Chris

Wight

• View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 21:36:48 PM »
You'll need a "crunchie" plane for "all conditions most likely. Most EPP airframes aren't efficient enough for high wind. As you're finding by the time you ballast up to penetrate the thing flies like a brick! You need a better lift/drag ratin and that means a nice clean airframe. Lot's of good models in that category. I'd go for a kit as you learn to build and then you'll know how to fix it to some extent when (not if, when!) you break it.

Plenty of decent slope planes about. You want something in the 2m wingspan range I'd suggest. Chris Foss Middle Phase is a real classic slope glider. Built up fuse and foam wing so it's not overwhelming as a first project. Very nice handling model, good efficiency and able to take you through most manouveres.

C'mon guys, help the man with suggestions here! :)

Edit: I see the 60" machine you're looking at as a candidate, would certainly be fast but 60" in high wind is going to be quite the handfull I'd feel. all feel free to disagree of course. :)

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 22:53:13 PM »
Wight

Thanks very much for the tips, much appreciated!

I hear what you say about EPP.  There seem to be one or two EPP models that may be a bit more efficient than most, such as the Redback by DezzaNet in OZ (http://www.dezzanet.com.au/), the U2 Dragonlady or even the Banshee from Tuff Planes http://www.tuffplanes.com/Products.html), and the EPP version of the Jart from Leading Edge Gliders (http://www.leadingedgegliders.com/).  I'm really not too sure about the Pheonix Model Products planes - they look a bit lacking in streamlining to me,  but then I'm going by looks only, which may be really unfair!

I do really like the look of the Chris Foss Middle Phase, and the Phase 6.  I actually bid on a Middle Phase kit on fleabay, but was pipped at the post with that one!  The only thing is I suppose I am trying at this stage of my training to stay away from crunchies!  

I may be completely new at slope flying, but I do have a bit of experience (including building pure balsa kits), having come from helis to various electric planes and gliders, to slope, so no problem with repairs there!

So I gather that you recommend generally bigger wingspans for higher winds?  That would be important information for me, as I was tending to look at around 60" (and even smaller), mainly because that local slope near my house is so small, and is also quite steep climb up the side, and a small plane is easy to carry whilst acting like a goat! I have a new S2G ASW 28  (3.4m span) kit in the loft that I was keeping for better (i.e. more skilled) days, maybe I should haul that out now??  I wonder what type of winds she will handle?

Has anyone any knowledge of the Thorn?  That looks really efficient, and as tough as nails, plus it comes pre-ballasted! See http://www.planeinsanemodels.com/prototype.htm.  I have a full workworking workshop, so I'm right at home with the material!  The flying Hurley just looks so damn dangerous!  It looks like a radical concept, but I have to admit it's on my shortlist, being "only" EUR 139 landed here.

Then, another idea, right out of left field, is to look for a nice jet model.  Ther'e generally fast and efficient in shape, are they not?

Any other comments would be most welcome.

:D Chris

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51:37 AM »
Hi Chris,

In the 60" range, you have the Destiny !
Very good glider, with a big range of flight conditions, from thermal flight to very windy days.
http://www.gliderireland.net/destiny.htm The day of the pictures, no wind at all (and no thermals), but in one launch, that allow you to go around twice and land.. Not bad at all !

Will be my first choice in this type of glider (maybe alongside the Freddy or Hallowen.. :-k  )

The Redback is also a very good model, EPP or ODR version, both are very good models too.

I have recovered a Phase 6, so I will tell you more on that one after I flew it, but that look like a pretty good model too for what you are looking for.

After that, you can go PSS  :D  Joe have a few plans (including the U2 one) if you want to scratch build  :D

I flew the S2G ASW28, and you can fly in almost any conditions, the only problem, depending on your slope configuration, will be the landing, not that is difficult to land (the bigger the easier !  :D ) but you need space ! If you have the space to fly bigger models, well, you already have the ASW, so I'll go for it ! And you buy a Destiny or else for all the other days !  :D

Fred

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi Fred

Thanks very much for the post!

The Destiny is actually on my (very long!) list, as well as possibly the mini Destiny (I gather also known as the Micro Floh XL).

BUT (AND IT'S A BIG BUT), I'm at that stage where I've built and crashed too many crunchies for now, so I've eaten humble pie, hangared the other models, and gone back to foam to really get my flying skills properly sorted before I get them out again! As much as I really want a decent moulded model, I must be realistic for now, and rather put them on the list to aspire to!  Having said that, I really need a high-wind model (I'm sorted for now with light and no lift conditions), and if the advice is that I need a glass ship to do that, then that's what I'll have to do (Life is really tough, isn't it :D ).

Tell me more about the Fredy and the Halloween?

Cheers

:) Chris

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
Well, the Fredy is the same class as the Destiny, with a T tail.. The Halloween is bigger (I think Ralph in Cork have one if I remember...)

You can fly with foamies in windy conditions without a lot of trouble.. Take the SKUA...(http://www.wowings.com/international/) Joe can tell you more about this wing !

If you want to stay in foamies, you have in France the AZ series (AZ 2005, combAZ, SalAZ) and why not, for lots of fun, the Minitoon ! Fully 3D aerobatics, suitable for beginners, fully EPP and so on.... Can fly in windy days without lot of problems too, and you have the "look" !  :wink:
All the infos are here : http://eppconcept.free.fr/ I can keep you in touch with them if you want  :D  (or if you need some translation..)

Hope this help,

Fred

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 14:21:46 PM »
Thanks for that Fred!

Whew!! So many to choose from!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 14:35:33 PM »
So many models, so little time !   :P

Personally, I'll go for a Minitoon and a Skua if you want to stay foamie / fun fly....  :D

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
Hi Guys

As I progress with my research (and some flying in the very odd wind directions we've been having the last few days!), I'm sort of starting to maybe change my mind about the type of model I should get next, but would really appreciate some expert opinions on my thoughts.

The problems with foamies as I see it are that they are pretty painful to assemble (all that tape and stuff...), and they are not as efficient as "proper" (i.e. crunchy) models.  In all my other hobbies/sports I realise I've gone through a "try it cheap" phase, until i realise that, if your'e going to do it, you might as well do it properly, and then i invest in the best kit you can get, and I never regret it as the perfomance and quality is always worth every penny at the end of the day.  So I am now bracing myself for spending a bit more, if needs be.

The problem with planes is the fear of crashing, which is still a very high risk with me (well, a certainty, actually :) ).  Would I be way off line to think, if I'm going to get a "crunchy", should it not perhaps be a really strong, DS type triple carbon/kevlar all moulded lay-up, and that would then be tough enough that it could handle a few not-so-good landings?  Or is that type of construction difficult to repair, that it may be better to go with all built-up wings (like for instance the Franken Modelbau Highlight Mega, etc.) or are planked foam wings (a la Airtech Fitness or Pixel, or RCM-Pelikan Xtreme, etc.) easier to repair?

Then, with regards to size, I am starting to realise that bigger is generally better when it comes to handling and "flyability".  I was only thinking of staying with 60" area in deference to the many very small slopes that are closest to my house.  Is that correct thinking, or can a good 2m  model be manoeuvreable enough that it is practical on a small slope?  My eyesight would certainly appreciate a larger model! :D .

Whew!  Sorry about the verbal dia......a!

Any thoughts?

:) Chris