Author Topic: Slope maiden  (Read 17005 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Slope maiden
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:56:31 AM »
Well, not an easy choice !
But something is sure, avoid the DS / F3B/F3F machines... A nightmare to repaire, and believe me, not that very strong when it comes to bad landings !   :wink:
Pixel.. Very good machine, but really hard to land...

In your case, I will forget fiberglass glider for the moment, and go for wooden ones...Easier to repair...
As Carl suggested, a middle phase, or a Phase 6 can be a good compromise.
Hopefully, the Phase 6 will be ready to fly next week end too, so I'll be able to tell you more about the flight caracteristics, or if you are in Dublin one of these week ends, why not try with us some gliders !  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

cvanscho

Slope maiden
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 20:40:21 PM »
Thanks Fred, that's exactly the type of advice I need at this stage!

The Phase 6 has always appealed to me.  I'd love to hear your flight report.

I'm getting a lot of advice on other forums to look at the PMP models (such as the Bedlam), but I dunno why, I just cannot wind up any enthusiasm for them.  

I will defo look you up next time I'm in Dubs, and I am aiming to attend the MACI Glide-in in May!

Cheers

:D Chris

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 22:59:10 PM »
Chris,

I can recommend either the Middle Phase or a Phase 6 - easy to repair!  Banded on wings as in the Middle Phase are pretty forgiving when starting out and may be the best bet.  I keep pulling the bolt mounting out of my Phase 6 with misjudged landings - although it is meant to have a weak link in it.  Note also Phase 6 comes in two versions - symmetrical and asymmetrical - the latter is probably the best to start with and will fly in a wider range of wind conditions.  

Peter

Wight

• View Profile
Slope maiden
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 22:30:56 PM »
Sorry Chris didn't know you had building experience!

The PMP models are good options for sure, indeed several are very similair to Foss's models, but I agree they don't do it visually. Chris Foss's stuff is prettier I feel, and has a band of serious hardcore followers. I should point out I've never owned one btw, I learned to slope on a Kamco Kittihawke Glass- fuse and foam wing 1.8m ship, fully fitted out with Skyleader gear! (It's an Antique, so don't go looking for one!)

I'd second Peter's point about the Middle Phase/Phase 6. The Middle Phase is more "sports" while the '6 is an out-and-out aerobatic sloper. (Was hot in its day before we went all plastic and DSing and stuff.) If going Middle Phase obviously get the aileron version!

I would definitely NOT buy an all glass model at this point. They are damn near impossible to repair well. They are very strong in terms of aerodynamic loads, but you could put your finger through the skins of the typical competition thermal ship. All the strength is in the spars, etc. and then next to nothing in the skins! A big smash with these equals writeoff.

Think of it this way: The rotorhead on a .90 heli is much stronger than on a .30 heli so as a beginner I should buy the big strong .90, right???? :wink: