Author Topic: ISR Glide-In - May 10-11th 2008  (Read 59320 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
ISR Glide-In - May 10-11th 2008
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 16:37:13 PM »
Ok, so Bill, from NI, this is really simple.
Take the M1 to Dublin
Then, take the M50 south and stay on it !
At the end, the M50 join the N11 - M11 and follow the road !
You go across the Wicklow mountain and so on. There is a new motorway that goes from Wicklow to GOREY, simply go straight, at the motorway end, you go back to the normal rad, direction to FERNS.
Once at FERNS, you need to go to BUNCLODY.
But we can meet together either FERNS or BUNCLODY and we do a convoy from there.
Dublin Ferns, take me 1.30hr on a normal day.

I also have the KMZ (googleearth) files for Mt Leinster if you want them. But basicaly, from Dublin, once you are on the M50 south, that is straight ahead down to Ferns  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 17:08:30 PM »
Thanks Fred,

I it's 1.5hrs from Dublin. It would make around a 3 - 3.5 hour trip from Belfast. Will almost certainly be down for the fly in on at least one day

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 23:26:39 PM »
That will be great to see you Bill ! :D
 Like that, we can talk about me coming to NI for 1 or 2 meetings this summer (If some of you are interrested to do the trip with me, more than welcome ! :D ).

By the way, the ISR meeting is going European, as we will have a French and German delegation !  :D  :D  :D
So far, more Frenchies than Irish at the meeting !!  :shock:

Come on Ireland !!  :P  :D

More information soon, but sound like 2 days of pure fun already !  :D  :D

garrykeogh

• View Profile
Some guy called JOE at the MACI council meeting
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »
Well it looks like your dates got on the official calendar.  I was sitting behind "glider secretary" Joe at the meeting last night and I think all the dates got put up. . . well done Joe.
I have never made it to any of the events on Mt. Leinster, hope to change that this year.  I flew at Kilaloe with a couple of friends on the way home from Shannon one day, fantastic place.  I saw a Kilaloe event go on the calendar too.  Some of my outlaws spend time in West Clare during the summer. . . note to self, maybe coordinate some pleasure with the outlaw duties. . . hmmm!  That would set a precident :oops:  8)

We (www.srfc.net) have a newsletter going in the post in the next week or so, I will see if I can get the soaring members off their a$$ for some of these events.  

It really is great to see some coordination amongst the gliding fraternity. . . well done all involved  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Garry

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
Hiya Garry
Yeah all the dates went up alright(I hope). Hope we can get a few more people out this year. Be great if you could add the dates to your newsletter.
We the will be having monthly glide-ins starting in March with a day or two aero-tow/flat field(bungee/electric) flying over the summer as well. I will send you on dates as soon as we decide on venues for each day. Maybe one month Mt Leinster one month Dublin area. We need to decide that.
Also, we have a date of the 7th of September for an ISR glide-in too. That venue I have left open. So maybe we will look at Dublin area for that one just to mix it up a bit.
Be great to do some flying with the shankill guys. Do you still fly the Sugar Loaf?
J

garrykeogh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 13:05:38 PM »
Hi Joe,
All sounds very good indeed and yes, we fly opposite the Great Sugarloaf.  
There are some large enough models in Shankill for towing.  We have done some in the past alright and I know that it wouldn't take much to get some tugs organised.  It goes without saying that we would be happy to see you all visit.  We have a BBQ on site and electricity available too 8) . . . all the creature comforts!
Let me see if I can get some of the soaring guys motivated.  Would be great!  I will keep in touch.

G

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 13:42:45 PM »
Great stuff Garry.
Lets get something together for later in the year so we can make use of the BBQ   :D
Do you still fly gliders from the Sugar Loaf itself?
Joe

garrykeogh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 14:08:16 PM »
Hi Joe,
I have flown a couple of times myself from the Sugarloaf.  There was a time years ago when there was a bunch of lads that arranged some gliding frequencies for the sugarloaf with our club.  The prevailing wind is straight on the south west side of the mountain, facing our club.  My own experience is that the lift is not brilliant.  What I have found is that, due to the shape I guess, the wind is as inclined to go around the hill as it is to go upwards.  What I mean is, when you find the lift, it is has a narrow sweet spot and is not all that much fun to fly off.  There are much better hills with the better lift within 10-15minutes drive of the Sugarloaf.

Have you guys flown at Lugala, over lough Tay? (Spellings may be wrong) It is the area where the tourists look down on the "Guinness" family home on the West side of Djouce Mountain.  I have flown from inside the wall dozenes of times, looking over the lake.  I will say that once I got booted out by a ranger.  He told me that the homes in the valley use radio to communicate and that I was jamming their signals.  You and I both know that either he was using a phoney excuse to move me on or that the valley uses 35Mhz radios. . . I think not.  It is a great spot to fly in  westerly conditons and has a great card up it's sleeve.  It is a natural bowl way down below where we fly.  If it is a sunny day and the breeze falls off, just as you expect to have to scrounge for lift, the nice big thermal bubble that lives at the bottom of the bowl comes out to play :clap: .
One note,  if you do get booted out, hop over the wall on the other side of the road and fly off the public right of way over the top of Djouce, right the way to sally gap and the source of the Liffey.  The lift is even better all the way up there, it is a good climb for a chubby lad like me :oops:

Garry

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 17:17:14 PM »
I never have made a race, but I would be eager to do so. Can I participate with my wing  :?:
Stephan

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »
Quote from: "Stephan"
I never have made a race, but I would be eager to do so. Can I participate with my wing  :?:
Stephan

Of course you can !  :D
And this is a 1 by 1 race, not like a 60" type race, so no risk to break something in a collision !

Worth a try anyway, the worse thing that can happen is a good laugh !
And the winner buy the Guinness by the way !
 \:D/

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 16:41:14 PM »
Quote from: "Fred"
...And the winner buy the Guinness by the way !
 \:D/

Great, so no risk for me to buy anything  :lol:
Stephan

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »
Hi there,
For those of you who wich to stay for the saturday night, here are some B&B you can get in touch with...

MEADOW SIDE B&B In Bunclody

Tel: 053 93 76226 / 77459
40 euros

And

MOSS COTTAGE in Bunclody

Tel: 053 937 7828
35 Euros

Myself and the other lads will stay at the MOSS Pub. Sorry, We already fully booked the place.

Fred

David Kelly

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 21:47:23 PM »
Fred,
Am thinking of coming to flyin weekend coming. What are free flights? Am happy to spectate but want to get in some flying also.

cheers
David

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Fred,
   Les, Jack and I will be traveling on the staurday and staying the night. What type of models shoud we bring? Big glass models? Light weights?
See you saturday

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 10:47:00 AM »
Wooow... this is next weekend!
I'll try to go there in one of the days, maybe on Sunday.
See what is going on over there! :)
..Nando