Author Topic: Quark tubes  (Read 6607 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« on: September 26, 2013, 22:44:22 PM »
Hi all,
       I know this is off topic and posted in the wrong place but seeing as the fly in is this weekend I thought it might get more notice. Wondering has anyone any suitable tubing be it ally or carbon for my quark 2m. I need 10mm tube with a wing joiner rod to fit inside tubing and some 4mm tube into which fits a 3mm rod.
Thanks,
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 23:51:39 PM »
Hi John,

I don't have what you're looking for and I'm not sure where you're based.... but I'm in Dublin tomorrow and can call to the radiocontrolled model shop in Ballymount, or green hobbies in Harold's cross or indeed b&q if they have what you need and can bring it down for you? I'll have the phone on me during the day so give me a shout if I can help....

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Quark tubes
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 00:11:54 AM »
Hi John,

My tubes come from Homebase (10mm aluminium tubes, 10mm external) and I use 8mm FG rods (available from any model shop or online)
So far, never had a fit issue with the Homebase tubes  :D  (they go up to 12mm ext - 10mm int.)

For the elevator, same, Homebase brass tubes and 3mm piano wire.

Pretty much all my stuff is in storage, but I'll have a look for the rods what I have at hand, if I get the time! (still at work at the moment  :!:  :!:  :!: )
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

johnfireball

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 00:48:47 AM »
Hi Fred & Stephen,
I tried homebase and got a 10mm ally tube but cannot find a nice fitting joiner rod. I also got a 3mm dia carbon rod but have no 4mm tube to fit it. I have made some building notes pointing out some pitfalls if assembly is not done in the right sequence (perhaps you might be interested). On second measuring the 10mm ally tube does fit the plywood ribs.
John.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 17:40:08 PM »
Hi John

Home base ali tubes are not good, I could never get the right fit for a 8mm rod with a 10mm ali tube. What are you looking for, I have various sizes of carbon tube in the work shop and a few rods. Let me know tonight and I may be able to bring some with me to bigL tomorrow. :?:

johnfireball

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 00:12:06 AM »
Hi John,
          Agree about homebase tube, internal size is unmatchable to anything standard. I need 10mm tube about 4 foot with inner to match for the for the main wing joiner and also 4mm tube to take 3mm rod for tailplane. I have 3mm rod but no 4mm tube to suit, need about 2 foot. Have a look but dont break your balls, I'll find a solution if necessary.
Many thanks,
John.

alibodin

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 22:14:59 PM »
For my Quark I used carbon fibre tube and rod, I did have to sand the rod so it fitted.

On my Grunau Baby I used these tubes. Expensive but do a good job,

http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/product/wing-tubes/

High grade aluminium wing joiner tubes with precision phenolic outer sockets. Both the aluminium tube & phenolic sockets have a wall thickness of 1 mm giving a low overall weight. The tubes are hard anodized gold externally and have a tensile strength of 630N/sq mm.

AListair

dean1997

• View Profile
Quark tubes
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 19:56:22 PM »
Went up to raphoe in Derry yesterday freezing for flying. Wrong place to be in the winter.

Dean