Author Topic: Aerobatic slope soarer wanted  (Read 6759 times)

goreyflyer

• View Profile
Aerobatic slope soarer wanted
« on: October 24, 2015, 21:40:43 PM »
Hello all
Rob here who has been playing with Keith and my "new"/second or more hand AR1..
Basically I know not a lot about slope soaring but after having fun today I fancy something aerobatic to keep me occupied on the slope as the AR1 doesn't seem to want to roll or loop even.
As I have little free time a kit is out of the question so it must be an ARTF which I guess if possible can handle a good breeze as we have here!
Looking on the Internet has shown.  A couple of options one is the Hacker Vagabond but I'm not sure if that could handle the wind?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Rob

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 22:40:06 PM »

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
Or how about this Fox:
http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?WPG=SRCM_HomePage1&itemid=A-STM070

Although a little more expensive, the Fox has a bigger WS and wider envelope.

The above link to Slough Models shows the Fox as being out of stock right now. But if you search the 'net you'll probably find the same manufacturer's Fox somewhere.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 15:33:38 PM »
Hi Rob,

What is your budget? (roughly)
I think Ralph have (or had!) a Wasabi with foam wing for sale (with the SB profile).

I have the Vagabond. Not too sure what to think about that one. Kind of mixed feelings. In the perfect conditions, this is great fun I have to say. Less than perfect conditions, it is struggling to stay in the air.
You can always play with wing curves etc etc (I don't) or add snapflaps, but in general, I am not a big fan of aerobatic foamies (my personal opinion of course :) )

You might also consider the Swift S1 or the Fox from Windrider ( http://windrider.com.hk/product.asp?id=164 )

The lads from the SFRC had one (had...  :P  but seemed to be great fun to fly)

After that, you can look at the second hand market and find yourself something more or less expensive, ranging from wood stuff, like a Phase 6 etc to molded glider.
It also depend if you are more looking for an all rounder, rather than a pure aerobatic glider if you see what I mean :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 21:34:27 PM »
Hi Fred
Budget wise I'm just trying to be careful at this moment in time so ideally under 150E which I'm well aware isn't going to buy me the latest greatest air frame! Didn't quite realise how pricey some gliders could be, but the same can be said for an F3A or IMAC airframe too!!
Heard about the Wasabi from Ralph just waiting on some more info at the moment. plus I have been looking to see if the ST models Fox is still available and waiting to hear back on that one too. The fox you have recommended I shall take a look at too.
Thanks Rob