Author Topic: phase 6 test flight  (Read 46270 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 14:35:01 PM »
Hey Luke,.........you asked me to let you know about the evelator response.

Well, I maidened her on Tuesday with the min advised 3/16" up & down movement I found her rather "twitchy". If the truth be told I was a little surprised to have got her down in one piece.

After adding 20% expo she was much better behaved. Climbed better too. :D

Today I took her out again, this time with with the max recomended 5/16" movement. I maintained the 20% expo and found that once again she was very sensitive to both evelator and aileron stick movement. Answer:  More expo. Eventualy with 35% expo on the elevator, and 25% on the aileron she was handling smoothly. :D

Loops are very .............don't know what word to use,..........prompt and tight. (with the stick fully back)
Rolls are quite rapid with only little loss of height. (This is also when moving the stick all the way.)
Inverted is fine too, though I had to keep the stick a bit forward all the time as she's only got the semi-symetric wing.
Rudder doesn't seem very effective. I've got it set to max 1&1/2 " movement but she is very lazy in terms of Yaw.
Landing, :oops: ..............er.......that's another matter. She comes in like a bloody missile. I don't envy you trying to put  a Phase 6 on the ground with out any form of braking. I'm fine with mine because I've got spoilerons, but as you're only using a single aileron servo you must be a better pilot than me Luke. :clap:

So, how have you been getting on with yours?

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 15:59:28 PM »
well done keith, theres a glass of brandy waiting for you in the pitts  :lol:
sounds like you had your hands full, it must be a thing with the phase 6 mine was the exactly the same , thats why i asked im not a great fan of expo,i dont like the deadness in the sticks, but when i tried it i went as far as 20% and stopped i just fly her regular (no expo ) although a little mitnt hurt.she`s still in one piece id like to take her out again.  i know what you mean about the landings , before i was trying the long approach but could never bleed enough speed off to land her..............so then i tried the fast about turn landing , (this involes all the surfaces rudder ,elevator, aileron in unison in a real tight turn, it works you bleed off so much speed , but can get a little too exciting at times  :shock:
wellwear with your phase 6  , and stick up a pic , id like to see it
regards
luke

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 16:59:22 PM »
Yeah, these Phase 6's certainly keep you on your toes!

We must keep trying Luke. As the old saying goes, "Defeat is momentary"

There's a picie of mine on this forum.......Misc > "Prob Building Phase 6 Fuselarge"

Keith

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 22:48:48 PM »
jeez keith just had a peek at ur phase 6 on the other forum, Nice  :D
truly is a work of art , well done  :clap:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 18:06:24 PM »
Hi Luke, how are you getting on with the Phase 6?

I have to say mine is looking decidedly battle scared.. :(  As you may have seen in other threads of the forum I lost all elevator control when the plane was diving from 6-700 feet above the valley floor and she just nose dived into the ground.

I've also found that sometimes when landing, just as I flare, the rudder "grounds". I've chamfered the underside of the rudder now but this problem of rudder grounding has caused some damage to the rudder and on one occasion removed the fin as well.

On the positive side I found the Phase 6 is rather good at 4 point rolls. (Not that mine are exactly 90 degree points :oops: ) Have you tried any?

Keith

luke

• View Profile
phase 6
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
well keith,
              sorry bout your misshap, funny you should say that becouse my phase 6 has to be pulled out of a dive, she wont come out herself, and this tends to be a little scary when your winding up for a loop(s) i think i have c.g. issues , what im doing at the moment in an attempt to lighten her a little is drill 11/2 inch holes down the side of the fuse and do the same with the elevator and rudder, i dont know, it mabey a fools errand but worth a try coz theres waaaay too much lead in the nose to balance her.i reckon i might have saved 20g-50g already
hope everything fixes right for you fred
hope you will be in the air soon
luke

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 14:29:36 PM »
Drilling holes to balance her :shock:  With respect Luke are you sure you're testing her balance in the right point? Should be 4 1/2 inches back from the LE. At that point she should either remain horizontal or just tip slightly forward. I haven't heard of anyone having to drill holes to balance a Phase 6.

F.Y.I. I suggest you do a quick check of the elevator linkage. :wink:  The problem with mine was that the 'elevator rod pivot lever' in the tail became un-welded. Check to see if yours is okay by holding the elevator and operating the elevator stick forward and back. Keep an eye on the elevator servo and if you see the servo moving but can't feel the elevator move by an equivalent amount I'd say you've got the same problem. (Eventually the weld on mine gave out completely, that's why she went nose in.)

Keith
On a slightly different note, I belive the Cork club have a Fly-In around this time of year. I'd hope to make it and if you did as well we could meet up and compare notes. It'd be nice to put a face to the name, so to speak!

luke

• View Profile
phase 6
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »
your right ther fred , that could be another thing to check. i think your missing me there a bit, what im trying to do is lighten her, and try to make her a little bit more user friendly. im going to try and reduce the angle of incidence in the wing, if i put a 2mm strip uder the t.e. of the wing it reduces the angle of incidence by 1 degree,

yeah that would be nice alright , meet other sick people like myself  :lol:
but im very rarely down cork way . im usually around killaloe,

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
Hey Luke,

Keith, not Fred ! I am much more beautifull, and young ! (and a bit fat as well...  :lol: )

The incidence depend of you CofG too, both are related. Changing the incidence will not necessarely fix your problem as you have to work on both front at the same time.

In flight, if you do the dive test, what happen ? That will be your best guess to see if something is wrong or not.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 17:02:48 PM »
My dear Fred,

Younger than me, you may be........ :oops:

More knowledgeable than me in matters of aerodynamics, you may be,...... :oops:

But better looking? :shock: ........ Definitely NOT :roll:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 20:16:09 PM »
AAhhh Keith, you say that because you never saw me on a saturday night with my make up !  :lol:  :P

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 20:26:02 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  Wearing a french maid's dress with black stockings? :clap:  :clap:

(Now that I must see before I die)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 20:39:00 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Ah stop. Now I won't be able to sleep tonight  :lol:  :lol:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 21:25:47 PM »
Phantasm !

:mrgreen:

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 14:19:37 PM »
Im soooooo sorry keith, just had so much on my mind lately.
as i said, when pushed into a dive she will not come out of her own accord. all im really trying to do is to make her nicer to fly and try to lighten her.
ive been trawling the www looking for an answer to this: what effect does changing the angle of incidence do to the flight pattern of an rc glider????[/u]