Author Topic: Super Thin Turbulator Stripes for Sailplanes  (Read 5530 times)

kazaklisglider

• Magic Soaring...
    • View Profile
Super Thin Turbulator Stripes for Sailplanes
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
Hello,

These are the three final versions of my CNC produced thin turbulator stripes… some changes have been made regarding the stripe total length available in each particular set… to better suit the requirements of different size ships.

The material has a “soft” adhesive system and so can be easily and safely repositioned within the first weeks to find the best percentage/chord position for your particular model… all are 0.10 mm thickness but the width and angle varies for each version.
Their total transparency matches every color scheme… in the photos attached a portion of the sheet is painted silver to aid visualization… they can also be bent quite easily to negotiate curved leading edges and wing tips.

In the flight department a pilot can expect enhanced low speed performance… better climb rate combined with predictable/stable turning abilities… a key factor however is experimentation to find the best chord position as each wing surface/airfoil combo has a different BL flow behavior… a two page instruction manual is provided with each set to aid the pilot for this procedure… it also covers practical application tips.

Quite a number of interesting threads can be followed in internet for those who are not entirely familiar about turbulator usage.

You can see the Turbulator Versions below:

Versions         Suitable Wing Size      Stripe Length             Price
Maxi Turbulators     3 to 4m               9 x 0.9m = 8,1m        35 Euros
Midi Turbulators     1,5 to 3m             7 x 0.9m = 6,3m        30 Euros
Micro Turbulators   0,8 to 1,5m          5 x 0.9m = 4,5m        25 Euros

Wingspans are only given as a guideline and experimentation is essential to find the best results.

I send all my packages Registered in the buyer’s name with Tracking Number and link provided to follow its progress… shipping included in price.

I accept PayPal and i can ship the item in 2 working days, notifying about shipping details.

You can contact me at kazaklisglider@yahoo.gr

Regards,
Tasos.
Magic Soaring...

kazaklisglider

• Magic Soaring...
    • View Profile
Re: Super Thin Turbulator Stripes for Sailplanes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

Sorry for not introduced my self…

My name is Kazaklis Tasos from Greece...

Hopefully by the end of the year i will manufacture micro r/c sailplanes and performance accessories.

For the time being, I work hard in finishing my workshop and improving some delicate machinery and tooling.

My 40 year experience (last six strictly competitive) in designing/improving/flying rc sailplanes led me to research various performance enhancing products
(turbulators, higher degree joiners, tailskids)

…my aim at the time being is to share them with other pilots who seek enhancing their model …
the price is just to cover cost/labor/transport etc.

Regards,
Tasos.
Magic Soaring...

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »
Hello Tasos,

welcome to our forum. Many of us here fly slope models and I am not sure if there would be any use for the Turbulator strips. I have an alpina 4001 which may be suitable but normally I fly in conditions which may not suit your product. Can you tell us more about the benifits of such devices?

Best of luck with with your new enterprise.

Rogallo
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

kazaklisglider

• Magic Soaring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 20:37:20 PM »
Hello rogallo,

The subject of turbulation is not something that can be summarized in a few sentences but I will try to outline some basic facts…

The main benefit is a substantial improvement in the low to medium speed range…
This really means that a thermal ship can climb better in a thermal or a slope model can fly more efficiently and exploit low wind/low lift conditions that until now was unable … because it is equipped with a low camber section…or it has a high wing loading.

An improvement in the general handling/turning behavior can also be realized and more often than not the proper use of turbulators can cure a model with severe tip stalling problems… for example a heavy/ scale PSS model can be really tamed down on the landing approach.

On the other side of the performance spectrum a clean/fast model equipped with them can safely lower its minimum sinking speed and fly in marginal conditions or in questionable/ small slopes that where until then unusable.

However I would not advise their use for a very low wing loading/ floater type of model especially with the built up types already possessing turbulating stringers in the forward wing section.

Models designed for speed such as F3F or pylon racers can see an improvement in tight turning performance but a disadvantage can be a slight reduction of the absolute top speed so the performance gains are up to the personal flying style of the pilot to balance… the use of super thin turbulators can minimize to an extent this top speed loss.

Turbulating is anything but new to soaring… its use dates back to the golden age of free flight competition models… up to the present high performance R/C sailplanes…and it is now becoming a major trend in full size ships…

However a pilot contemplating to use them should be aware that some experimentation is required from his part to find the optimum position in his ship and realize the full benefits… much like fine tuning a sports car… it takes practice and dedication.

As for the Alpina 4001 it is one of my favorite 4 meter ships… along with its predecessor the Magic… you can produce a much “user friendly” Alpina by turbulating its wing and able be to fly in much lighter conditions or climp better in turbulent ones… despite its high wing loading… a small disadvantage would probably be a slight hesitation in acceleration and/or top speed.

Regards,
Tasos.
Magic Soaring...