Author Topic: So Who is traveling this Weekend?  (Read 48064 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
So Who is traveling this Weekend?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:12 AM »
Never mind the snow Richard, nor the ‘Men in white coats,’ (are they any relation to the ‘Men in Black’ do you think?) I can assure you of a very warm welcome down here in the rather wet but slightly milder South East where the temperature is continuing to rise. :)

I see the webcam on the mountain has stopped working :o ……………..I can see the mountain from here and it’s completely cloud covered at this moment. :cry:  Hopefully it’ll clear before too long. :)

Talking of the webcam site, it’s showing Northish winds at 50+ Km/h. That will equal a LOT of lift, WOOOPEEE! 8)  
Hope you've brought pleanty of ballast with you. How fast are your reaction times Richard??? :P

See yo’all up there. :wink:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:09 AM »
Just had a text from Joe, he asked what Big L. was looking like now.

This is the picture from my place, (25Km south east of the mountain)

The Mt. should be clearly visible on the horizon above the “Yeald” sign. So don’t hurry too much guys, it’s going to be a while before there will be any flying up there.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 08:49:16 AM »
Still home minding the baby!

Leaving now!
See you at around 10.30!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 19:55:46 PM »
The weather looks great tom, thinking about a solo run in the morn.
Keith, will I throw in the model if I travel?

Hope to see you tomorrow

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 21:53:32 PM »
Hey Ralph, I’d be very interested to see that model. I’d particularly like to see how it flys. So if you are coming back to the slope tomorrow and you fancy throwing it in the car that would be great.

I’m looking for something about 3 - 4 mtr very areobatic that can ‘Beat up the sky.’ I’m not too worried about its speed, and appearance doesn’t matter to me at all. I can’t promise to buy it off you Ralph but I’d certainly be interested to see how it flys. If you don’t want to return to big L. tomorrow then don’t worry,………maybe the next fly - in…….I’m not in a mad hurry to buy anything…I’m just waiting for the “right” plane to come along….if you understand what I mean!

Looking at the forecasts, and going by a feeling in my bones, I recon tomorrow could be a good day weather wise, although I suspect that the wind might not be too strong. I intend to arrive at the slope around 10 - 11. Hope to see you if you decide to come.

Oh, one more thing Ralph. If you do come, bring a foamy that we can use as target practice will you :wink:

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
What a difference a day makes! :shock:

Here’s a picture of Big L taken a couple of minutes ago. Mt. Lienster itself has just the smallest wisp of cloud over the very top, covering the radio mast. All the slopes we use however, (which are on the far side, ) will be clear of cloud. That’s Good! :clap:

What isn’t so good is that the wind speed is Zero! :cry:

All forecasters are predicting the wind will pick up to some degree around 10am…….let’s pray they’re right.

Keep your eyes on the Mt L weather site.......the weather data seems to still be accurate even if the camera isn't working.

K.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 07:53:01 AM »
Looks great Keith. I hope to be leaving Naas at around 9.30am. See you all there hopefully.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
Hi Keith,
  woke at 5.30 and went back to sleep afetr seeing the wind or lack of it, maybe another day.
Enjoy all

R
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
Okay Ralph, not sure when or where the next glide - in is,………..see you there anyway.

(Fancy going back to sleep at 5.30,……the day is just beginning. Lazzy ba*****d! :lol: )

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 17:38:54 PM »
Well that was, without doubt, one of the best days flying I’ve had in a very long time. :D  :D   A fair breeze created good lift, and when the sun came out it took some of the otherwise cold chill out of the air.

Many thanks to all who came, including those who didn’t get much flying on the Saturday.

Peter (shamanisko) from Roscrea came and joined in the fun,……..(actually lads we’ll have to keep an eye on this guy,….. he’s good…….. and flys a very mean Fox.) We also had a visit from a newbie in the form of Rob who’s a member of the Model County Flying Club and brought a powered wing to see if it would fly in a spot of ridge lift. It did, and I think we may have another glider pilot on the making.

Commiserations to poor Andrew, who ‘lost’ a very nice model to the trees behind the landing area of the west slope :oops: . He, and a few others did manage to retrieve it eventually, but caused some damage in the process. At least you got it back Andrew, you’re a braver man then me for climbing up that tree. :clap:

All in all a very good day……….I know that because my legs are aching now,……I didn’t notice it when I was on the mountain.

I'm sure other members will be posting thier picies and views of the weekends events, so I'll say no more other than a big thank you!

Keith

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 18:48:03 PM »
That was a good days flying alright. A pity it was so cold some times when the sun went in. If it had been a bit warmer it would have been perfect. Here are some of the pics I took.

OOPS

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 23:18:58 PM »
Well what a weekend, one day mist every where, next day fantastic weather, that's slope soaring! A big thankyou to the slope rebels, once again, a great weekend of craic, flying and good company. Here are a few photos from the weekend.

Once again, thanks guys!

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 05:23:35 AM »
great weekend  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

thanks guys  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
Sorry, a bit late on that one  :oops: , but once again, thank you all for coming, with special thanks to the guys who come from far away, like Cork and NI to participate to the event  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Well, boys fly planes, men do slope soaring!  :P  We actually manage to check that was true on Staurday, when rain, sleet, strong winds, did not stopped around 12 pilots to try to fight the elements for some flying!  :clap:
Eventually, nature won when the clouds we were flying in all day got ticker! We then moved slightly below it on the West Slope for a bit more flying before calling off the day. Nobody died frozen, but that got close!  :P

The next day was glorious! With sun, West winds, and again, around 10 pilots  :clap:

Everything flew that day, PSS, gliders etc (even a cheater if I remember!  :P ).
We also had a good display from Keith and John with the Vector + smoke canisters  :clap:  Red, is definitively the colour to go with! Nice to see something different, that was fun, and we had a good laugh!

As the day goes, the conditions were even better (burnt my face by the way!).
A bit of a pain for Mr Wallace to land in a tree for the "last one of the day"  :(  but the glider was recovered in a team effort from those branches. Damaged glider in the process, but nothing too serious.

Talking about crashes etc, now I think of it, I don't think we had any broken gliders this week end ? Nice considering the numbers of flights we manage to do in the 2 days!  :clap:

Another great sight, was John's DreamLiner. Looks really good in the sky! Watched the video quickly, and that's scale flying!  :clap:  :clap:

Once again, lots of things to say, but better to come and live it with us!  :P

Once again, thanks a lot for all the guys that attended the meeting!  :clap:  :clap:

I try to pull the photos from my camera later!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 14:20:48 PM »
Hop, recovered my photos!  :D

So, here you are, in order of apparence :

Not easy with 5 layers of fabric!!  :P

Now, that's the spirit!  :clap: