Author Topic: West Wings Skylark build thread  (Read 66112 times)

EI1638

• View Profile
West Wings Skylark build thread
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:51 AM »
You could try cutting it roughly to shape and then soaking it (really soaking it, overnight or longer) and then tape it into place to allow it to dry. I've heard of people using crepe bandages for this. You need to be careful with the pressure points otherwise you can end up with a 'starved horse' look

Not a task I particularly enjoy, but needs must.

If its something like wing sheeting you can dampen one side (outer side), it will swell, causing the sheet to curve.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
First attempt at covering
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 10:16:01 AM »
I started this morning to try and cover some of the more simple areas; my first attempt wasn't so good...

The covering didn't want to stay in line with the base of the fin...

I think the white lines are caused by the glue left behind as the covering shrank?

Any tips for ensuring the covering doesn't curve as it shrinks?  Is it as simple a solution as leaving approx half an inch overhang to allow for the shrinkage?

alibodin

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2015, 15:25:25 PM »
Angry Muppet

A tip would be to try the covering iron at a lower temperature, you want the iron hot enough to attach the covering and not too hot too hot to shrink it.

Try a bit of covering on some balsa and see what works.

Model looks lovely. I had one years ago and it flew nicely.

Alistair

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2015, 17:45:05 PM »
Tack down, trim and secure the film around the edges with the iron and let it cool   - then heat and shrink the middle part of the surface last without heating the edges again.  In this way the film will not pull away.  Nice build.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2015, 17:53:56 PM »
Hey David,

I think the reason the covering has pulled away from the edge (in the first photo) is either because you didn’t stick that part down too well before you started to shrink the covering,….or, you didn’t dust the wood before you tried to stick the covering.

Always best to dust off the wood you are going to cover.  You might have got a coating of sanding dust on it after you’ve sanded smooth all the parts of the airframe and the glue on the covering simply stuck to the dust, not the actual wood itself.

In addition, as Alistair said, you have almost certainly had the iron too hot for the type of covering you are using. It takes a little time to establish the correct temperature for each type of covering. Take your time and turn up the heat gradually, leave the iron for a few minutes to come up to temperature and try it on the covering. If it hasn’t pulled the covering tight then increase the setting a little more and repeat.

Finally, covering compound curves is a very tricky job. I’m crap at it. :(  (Tips of the wings, tail plane, top of the fin and the nose are all difficult.) The ability comes with loads of practice. Someone once told me that until you can completely cover a cricket ball with shrink covering and not leave a single crease should you try to cover a model plane! I’d never get a plane in the air if that were the case. :lol:

Cover compound curves a little bit (2mm) at a time and pull the covering tight as you stick the covering to the curve. Failing that simply cut the covering and stick it overlapping a bit at a time.

Now that you are learning all these difficult parts of a build you will never look at another home built model in the same light again. Next time you see a model look at the compound curves and see how well the builder has covered them. It’ll give you an idea of the builders skill level. Ha! :lol:

L. Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2015, 18:06:10 PM »
Unfortunately I'm covering the plane with a standard clothes iron... Is needs be, I'll just have to attach the covering that way and then set if I can borrow a proper surface iron.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
Let's get the skin on...
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2015, 21:55:59 PM »
After receiving my iron on Monday and getting up early this morning, I finally got to try it out...  It's certainly easier to use that a domestic iron; is am absolute demon for shirt cuffs! :P  I can't wait to try it out on covering film!

Anyway, first attempt went thus;

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 09:21:09 AM »
Latest update:

Fuselage is started and the tailplane is complete.  The myriad curves and angles of the fuselage are a pain. The photo is the second attempt.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »
Keep up the good work Muppet :D

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:57 AM »
Same here, nice and neat!  :clap:

Just a quick one. Why did you stop the fuselage covering mid way in the fuselage?
When you are going to cover the rest, it will be hard to hide the seam as this is not on a "hard" surface, but hollow. Always harder to join when it's hollow if you see what I mean.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
It only looks neat in the picture; it's a little less tidy in reality.

I stopped where I did to give me room to pull it tight before affixing it.  I'm going to trim it back and start the next section from a beam/spar/structural portion.

I had hoped to cover the whole of the tail boom in one go, but there's too many angles behind the wing for me to have any confidence in doing a decent job.

In the interim, I've been cutting up a referendum poster as winglets for the wing. It needs a little tlc after landing hard with the rock taped to it.  :oops:

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 14:25:42 PM »
It's only been 4 months... Finally got back to covering one wing the other night; 11" of the wingtip is red, the remainder is white. The tight compound curves are a pain  

The elevators will also need to be sorted. I have a feeling one plywood "arm" has walked. Thankfully I did order plastic clevis replacements way back. The attachment may be the issue.

Will post pics later.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 16:59:48 PM »
For goodness sake David run after it! A plywood arm that can also walk will be worth a fortune :lol:

Why are you thankful that you ordered plastic replacements way back?

Keith :wink:

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
I'm thankful I ordered them because I now don't have to go trying to find them and paying postage for such a small item. I know we need to keep your belovèd wife out of the house to give you peace with your planes..   :wink:

Long view of the first wing...

Does this make the control horn look big?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2015, 16:58:22 PM »
I'm afraid your rather cryptic way of writing makes it impossible for me to make any sense of what you're saying David. :!:

Good Luck with your build anyway :D

Keith