Author Topic: DGC Ka8b  (Read 139433 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2009, 08:20:36 AM »
Looking good Alan !  :clap:
Getting close now!!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2009, 13:44:45 PM »
Hi all. I'm still working hard on the K8. But I'm afraid it will not be ready for Retroplane . I will try to bring what I have done so far to one of the days so you can see what I have done. I will hope fully have it completed within one to two weeks after Retroplane.  :(  :(  :(

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2009, 16:15:17 PM »
Alan, I am still finishing my two models, a rak and a backstrom, I am leaving tomorrow to go to Mount L so will be up all night. Keep up the good work and you can get there too :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

See you at the weekend

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2009, 18:23:57 PM »
Thanks Ralph. I'm sure I will get their. I'm dying to fly it. But it definitely wont be ready for the weekend. There is at least a week or two worth of building and covering to do. But I managed to get all the electrics going to day.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2009, 18:16:28 PM »
Hi All.
Work on the K8 has been slow for the last few weeks. But I got a little bit of work done. I have the canopy glued to the canopy frame. I also have the nose skid and tail skid glued on to the fuselage. The wing are almost ready for covering. Just a little bit more sanding and they will be ready. After been inspired by Fred I have also built a cradle for the k8 as well.

Here are some photo's of the K8 with the canopy on.

Philipp Gardemin

• View Profile
    • http://www.AUFWIND-magazine.net
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »
@Alan: I would love to publish an article about that wonderful model in AUFWIND (German and English).

Please send me a email to editor@aufwind-magazine.net.

PHILIPP

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2009, 20:59:51 PM »
Almost there now. The wings are now covered :D  :D. It really is starting to look like a K8. I just have to do some more work on the airbreaks and they will be fully finished. I also have to do some more work on the fuselage and it will be ready for covering as well. Not looking forward to that. It looks like it could be complicated. Here are some photos,

Here is a question for Fred or anyone else who has experience with solartex. As I was covering the wings I noticed these dark marks appearing on the solartex (see photo below). I'm not quite sure where they came from. I did use Balsaloc on the wood before I covered the wings, (For anyone who does not know, Blasaloc is a pretreatment you can put onto wood before you cover it so as the covering film sticks to it better).
It does not really mater in the end as I am going to paint them gloss white. Its just for future reference. Anyone got any ideas.

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2009, 21:44:09 PM »
Hi Alan,

Same thing happened to me on a Flair Fokker DV11 I built a few years back. Putting a sock on the iron helped as I initially thought it was dirt rubbing off on the solarex from the face of the iron. Reducing the heat also helped. I think it had something to do with the glue bonding under too much heat. Burning basically as it only occurs at the point where the covering touches the wooden structure... you can see that in your pics.

If you are painting over it, it should not matter anywho.

Absolutely fantastic model you have there by the way. Well done.

Dave
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

lothar4862

• navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2009, 22:11:38 PM »
Hi Alan,

I cannot answer Your Question, but I can tell You, that she's a real masterpiece. Everything looks very clean and well done.

Regards

Lothar
http://klassik-modellyachten.de/

and now back in airplanes ;-)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
Thanks very much Lothar. Its my first scale model so it is not as clean and neat as I would like it to be. Definitely not as neat as your Horten XIV. The next time I make a model from a plan I'm going to try and get the parts laser cut.

Dave. I think you may be right about the iron been too hot. But I also think the balsaloc may have caused it as well. I did an experiment. I covered the elevator without using the balsaloc and there was hardly any dark marks at all.

Philipp Gardemin

• View Profile
    • http://www.AUFWIND-magazine.net
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2009, 17:40:51 PM »
@Alan: I received you email. You will get my extensive answer tomorrow (Monday).

PHILIPP

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2009, 16:06:36 PM »
OK. Here's an update. Things are going slowly at the moment. Don't have much time to spend building. I have the fuselage covered. That means the entire glider is covered now   :D . I also have the fin and rudder painted in the final color. See below,

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2009, 20:35:57 PM »
Hi All. Another update. I have the Fuselage painted now. Thats all I'm going to paint for the moment. I'll leave painting the wings until after the first few flights. Here are some pics. The paint job is not the best. You can't see it in the pic's but I was experimenting with different paints and there was some compatibility issues.
All thats left now is to finish of the canopy and attach it to the fuselage, balance the model and then get the electrics working right. I also have to have a look at one of the airbreaks. It seems to get stuck sometimes.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2009, 21:50:07 PM »
Can't see too much wrong with your paint job Alan.
Anyway once it's 500ft up or out, no one will know the difference!! :clap:  :clap:

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
DGC Ka8b
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2009, 21:15:34 PM »
Thanks Bill. Now that I look at it more closely I guess it not too bad. It's a bit messy in some small areas but thats what you get when you do a rush job.
Just a tip for anyone else who needs to do some painting, Halfords car spray paints and Dulux high gloss don't go well together.