Author Topic: CMAC indoor Fly in  (Read 35398 times)

Brian

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:07 AM »
Hi Aidan,
Where in Killkenny are you.
Are you in a club there.

Brian
Serious Power

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
Dave,
  as Aidan said, the shockflyers and the like are easy to fly indoors. The Tiger Moth is excellent too, just use the rudder to turn and not elev ail combo.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28:45 AM »
Hi DaveMc,

You mean from GWs the TM-400 the full foam wing or the smaller brother P-TM?
..Nando

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »
Icewind

Yeah thats the one. the bigger one.

I decided to get on board with this indoor lark. It sounds like lots of fun so I just purchased a Dualsky Breeze Pro. Reckon I will get it built in time if Als hobbies gets it over to me ASAP. Should be a fun experience.

Don't see myself having much problem with the moth indoors. It is a very stable model and can be flown at snails pace.

Looking forward to the craic!!
D.
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

IceWind

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 13:00:13 PM »
:)
It was curiosity, as I love that plane.
I have one but it won't be good for indoor, too heavy with all teh paint and re-enforcements I add to it to hold the motor upgrade.

..Nando

Aidan

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 13:24:04 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"
Hi Aidan,
Where in Killkenny are you.
Are you in a club there.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I'm living a few minutes walk from the centre of town on the Kells road. I'm not in a club in Kilkenny. I generally head up to Kildare at the weekends and do most of my flying there, although not enough.

Aidan

Aidan

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 13:49:20 PM »
Quote from: "DaveMc"
...I decided to get on board with this indoor lark. It sounds like lots of fun so I just purchased a Dualsky Breeze Pro. Reckon I will get it built in time if Als hobbies gets it over to me ASAP. Should be a fun experience...

That's great. The important thing now is to build it light. Resist any urge you might have to reinforce anything or use lots of adhesive! The weight range given for the Breeze is on the high side - you'll enjoy it much more if you can keep it around 120g to 135g. This style of plane does fly much better when they're light and in reality the heavier they are the more damage they usually end up with.

Have you decided what motor, cells and servos you'll use?
Typical weights for a plane this size are:
Motor: 15g
ESC: <8g
Cells: 12g to 22g
Servos: 4g to 6g each

If you want any suggestions for components let us know!

Aidan

DaveMc

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 18:55:29 PM »
Aidan,
 I went with the recommended setup as per Al's Hobbies. The same components were used on a built review of the model in Rc Groups and the guy there was very pleased with it. There was a U tube link to see him fly it aswell and from what I saw it looked excellent.... at least in his hands anyway. So I went for that same setup.

motor : DualSky 80W Motor - 1780Kv (XM2812CA-27)
Prop : APC Electric Propeller - 8x4
Battery : DualSky X-Power 250mAh 11.1v SL Li-Po (3s1p) (16C)
I also have : Tunder Power 2 cell 450maH Li-Po

Receiver : Hitec HFS-05MS Micro 35MHz Receiver
Servos 3 : Blue Arrow 4.3g Micro-servo
ESC : DualSky 6A 2-3 cells Brushless Speed Controller

I have no idea about the weights of this gear.
As for building. I presume foam safe CA and tape is the way to go?? Any advice on this appreciated

Thanks
D

DaveMc

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 18:58:55 PM »
Icewind,

Nice job on the Moth. I left my model in stock configuration as it came out of the box. I did upgrade the battery and ESC to 3Cell 1000mAh Li-Po. Made the world of difference to flying the model. I also have mine on Floats and I fly great off Water.

My wings are slightly warped. Did you have any problems with yours. Did you beef up the interplane struts? Otherwise I found it to be a pretty good Model for the money

D

Aidan

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 20:57:23 PM »
Aidan,
 I went with the recommended setup as per Al's Hobbies. The same components were used on a built review of the model in Rc Groups and the guy there was very pleased with it. There was a U tube link to see him fly it aswell and from what I saw it looked excellent.... at least in his hands anyway. So I went for that same setup.

motor : DualSky 80W Motor - 1780Kv (XM2812CA-27)
Prop : APC Electric Propeller - 8x4
Battery : DualSky X-Power 250mAh 11.1v SL Li-Po (3s1p) (16C)
I also have : Tunder Power 2 cell 450maH Li-Po

Receiver : Hitec HFS-05MS Micro 35MHz Receiver
Servos 3 : Blue Arrow 4.3g Micro-servo
ESC : DualSky 6A 2-3 cells Brushless Speed Controller

I have no idea about the weights of this gear.
As for building. I presume foam safe CA and tape is the way to go?? Any advice on this appreciated

Thanks
D

That motor weighs about 20g and the cells are around 24g so just a little on the heavy side but it'll fly just fine.

Yep, foam safe CA is the way to go. Tape should only be necessary for the hinges.

Aidan

IceWind

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Icewind,

Nice job on the Moth. I left my model in stock configuration as it came out of the box. I did upgrade the battery and ESC to 3Cell 1000mAh Li-Po. Made the world of difference to flying the model. I also have mine on Floats and I fly great off Water.

My wings are slightly warped. Did you have any problems with yours. Did you beef up the interplane struts? Otherwise I found it to be a pretty good Model for the money

D

Thanks.
Yes I did, better than explain have a look.

I run mine stock for long time, but right from start I had in mind chaning later to brushless. But even with stock i read reports of what you say so i decided to re-enforce the upper wing middle section.

I also made in ply all the plastic struts, the stock ones were all bent and ugly.

I love this plane, it was my first ailerons plane. Except for just getting used to the very responsive elevator I had no problems flying it right form start.

Btw, seems were hijacking this thread! :( Sorry.
I guess this should move to a TM-400 related thread I bet there is more out there than have one as well.
..Nando

Aidan

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 13:51:35 PM »
Quote from: "rogallo"
Is there an Index 3.0 or maybe 4.0 yet?

Hi Ralph,

I got a few test flights done with the Index 3 last weekend and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'll be bringing this and the Index 2.2 to Cork and will fly them whenever the airspace looks safe-ish! I still have to build myself something EPP for when things get crowded.

I'll have the plans ready in the next day or two if anyone's interested.
They'll be going up on RCGroups but I can post them here too or provide a link.

Aidan

Here's a some pictures of the Index series to date.

Original Index

Index 2 (completely new design)

Index 2b (slightly modified version of Index 2)

Index 2.2 (2.1 was a larger version of Index 2 and this same airframe was modified again to change side area becoming Index 2.2 pictured)

The new one. It's a new design but proportions are pretty similar to version 2.2. I don't have a shot of it fully built yet.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
Hi Guys, looks like I will be going down to Cork for some fun flying !
What time do you start flying and what time do you wrap up at ?
I'm doing the trip in one day ! ouch
I have a few friends fighting over  seats in the car, so more than likely there will be 3 of us , priority is for my planes lol.
Next question, does anyone fly helis at the indoor ?
I know,  helis :twisted:  is a dirty word to me, but my friend might bring one along.
Now for google maps to find out were I am going.

Richard  :)
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
Helis are more than welcome, rubber models too. We are not too fussy, we will be flying in slots on the day according to model size and type. if you want the sky to yourself suggest tea and buns and that should keep you going for 5-10 mins.
With regards to directions head for Cork and at the big really big roundabout before the tunnel turn left on the N25 for Rosslare. about 10 mins later you should be at a small roundabout turn left for Middleton town (ignore the first entrance to the town it is a marked sliproad) turn left after pedestrian crossing. at the end of the road T junction turn right. Stop the car at Chadwicks building providers and look up to your right for the Hall.

my phone number is 087 8322791 if you get lost.

See you all Saturday
1.00 pm till 6

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
CMAC indoor Fly in
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 13:10:40 PM »
Thanks Ralph for the directions,
There will be 3 flyers heading down , myself and Matthew and David is the heli man.
We are meeting up in Newry for the 6hr drive ! 6am will come quickly so no beer tonight  :wink:
I am really looking forward to meeting up with yourself, Aidan and his dad, plus all the other pilots.

David Heli man video  
 [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/UQnkupDpZWA[/youtube]
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.