Author Topic: Which EDF model for a learner?  (Read 63371 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Which EDF model for a learner?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 07:07:30 AM »
OOOps, I'm having a spot of bother up loading text :oops:

Keith I have an F14 foam model in the workshop for a rear mounted motor, it yours free if you want to try a little jet model flying, let me know and I will get it down to you.

John, does 'rear mounted motor' mean it's a edf or prop pusher ?

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 20:32:58 PM »
Hi Keith

The f14 is a rear pusher prop model, however it  flys great and is a good practice model before you start to fly a phase3 f16 EDF jet. it will give you the chance to get used to flying a small fast jet model, a little different from flying large gliders. I may have a motor lying around the workshop that will fit the model.

Its yours if you want it?

I will be in Dublin working next Wednesday, I could  drop it off at Freds, if I get finished up on time with my client meeting!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 23:26:24 PM »
Hi John,
Richard and I were talking at the last Glide-In at Mt. Lienster and it seems we both have a similar philosophy to flying.
We agreed that it isn’t the flying that gives us as much thrill, as the learning curve. :wink:

Your offer of the F14 is very generous, and I thank you very much for it. But rightly or wrongly I want to go straight into EDF’s.
Call me mad if you like, (I wouldn’t deny it,) but I like the sense of anticipation, may be a little bit of fear and that feeling of total concentration and focus that comes with what I call ’pushing the limits of ones personal skill envelope.’

I quite expect to crash my first EDF model,  :oops: but for the few moments between first take off and “impact” with the ground I shall be living very intensely. 8)  

Thanks again for the offer.

BTW I’m still not sure which model to get. My head (with your voice in it) says the F16. But my heart dares me to buy the high powered Squall. :twisted:

I’ve decided to make a decision before I go to bed tonight.
(I might be a very tired bunny before I hit the sack!!) :(

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 00:21:00 AM »
Okay, after giving this matter a great deal of thought, and taking on board all the good advise from my friends out there, I’ve discarded my original idea of buying a ‘Fantom‘.

It pleases me to believe, although some people may disagree, that my flying skill is greater than that of “Novice,”  so I’m inclined towards models that require flying abilities of “Intermediate /Advanced,” To this end I’ve narrowed down the choices to one of the following two models.

1/ (Phase3) F16

2/ (Phase3) Squall HP.

(Strange how both are from the same manufacturer, Phase3.…….And my favourite glider is a Phase 6 Ha!)

In terms of cost they are both more or less the same, (around £95.00) Both are supplied with airframe, ESC, motor and fan unit. So on that basis there is nothing between them. They also have much the same wingspan and overall size.

The Squall HP (High Power)  uses a 4cell Li-po, whereas the F16 only needs a 3 cell battery. So the Squall HP has a slight extra cost in terms of battery. There is also the additional cost of a servo to operate the rudder. (F16 has no rudder control)

Now let’s look at some of the other factors;

Wing loading……..
The F16 has a loading of 15oz per Sq ft.
The Squall HP = 21oz per Sq ft.
With winter coming on, perfectly calm days are likely to be few and far between. Although neither plane  (I imagine) would be able to fly on “windy” days, the higher loading of the Squall should enable it to fly better on a “breezy” day however.

Landing………..
After watching videos, both models have much the same landing technique. They come in low, slow and nose high, then basically “drop” onto the ground.
JP advises that a weak point of the F16 are the elevators which tend to get damaged on landing.
Not likely to be a  problem for the Squall because of it’s different design.
However, the higher wing loading will probably mean the Squall has a higher landing speed, which does have the potential for causing damage to some part of the airframe.

Controls……………
The F16 has 3 channel control.
The Squall has 4.
(In addition, as an optional extra which can be fitted later, the Squall has a thrust vectoring facility for an extra £22. However, this item could easily become damaged during a poor landing. In much the same was as the elevators of the F16 could.)

Thrust…………
I’ve been unable to establish the thrust/weight ratio of the F16, but I do know that the ratio of the Squall HP is greater than 1:1 (AUW of 780grm/Max thrust of 930grm.)

Overall………..
John’s recommendation of the F16 weighs heavily on my mind, and I understand that there are many people who enjoy flying the F16. But I wonder if their pleasure isn’t because it looks like a well known military jet, and that the Squall would fly just as well?

Conclusion……….

Because of the less risk of damage to the tail of the plane during landing.
Because of the Higher thrust ratio.
Because of the possible addition of Vectoring, (after I’ve mastered the art of landing.)
And because of the greater number of control surfaces, I’m going for the Squall HP.
(Despite the extra cost of a 4cell battery and rudder servo.)

Thanks to all members to contributed advise, and John please don’t think I’m “spitting in your eye” for not getting a F16.
Look at it this way. If the Squall ends in tears,….. you’ll have the last laugh!!! :lol:

K.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 22:40:18 PM »
Goodman keith let it rip!!

or as the jet pilots say! 'kick the tyres and lite the fires' old boy.

If you have any problems, give me a call.

Ah!!! another jet jockey in the making I think?????

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 22:54:57 PM »
keith, that was the most amazing piece of logical step-by-step mental verbalisation (or should that be verbal mentalisation!) i've ever read! well done! hope which ever you finally decide on works out for you.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 23:26:58 PM »
Hi gerry, don't incourage him, he already knows to much!! LOL

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 23:41:19 PM »
Years ago I asked a girl out and she refused me. :shock:  (Actually most girls refused me, but that’s another story….. :oops: ) I asked her why and she told me I had V.D…….  Verbal Diarrhea! :P

( :?: I put it down to the fact that I was born at a very early age.)

I’ll up date you on the Jet when there’s something to report.

K. :lol:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 19:40:53 PM »
Well, the Squall arrived today, and, surprise surprise, all the bits that should be there, are there. :shock:  :clap:

Instructions recommend using fast epoxy to stick it together,(EPS)……I’m tempted to use UHU glue, it allows a little bit of ‘give’ in case of impromptu contacts with mother earth. Any of you guys have any thoughts on that? :?:

Just my luck, the forecasts are for strong winds and rain. :!:  The winds I don’t mind too much, at least I can slope soar, :D  it’s the rain I don’t need! :cry:

K.

Ron

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 20:46:06 PM »
Some people, so I'm told, use a hot melt glue gun.
Anyone any thoughts on that?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 21:21:58 PM »
That might work! :D  
It has a little bit of give, nice and quick to set as well…Good Idea that man!! :clap:

Any of you experienced Jet Jockeys know of any objections to the use of hot melt glue??? :?:

(Come on,…..don’t be shy, tell uncle Keithy :lol: )

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 21:38:38 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"

Any of you experienced Jet Jockeys know of any objections to the use of hot melt glue??? :?:

If it gets too warm it melts the foam :?:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 22:03:58 PM »
I can see where you’re coming from on that point Bill.

But I use hot melt glue to secure the wing servos on the Phase 6, and that has a styrene core in it’s wings.
Can anyone else think of any potential probs? If not I'll start assembling it tomorrow.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 22:08:22 PM »
you can get low melt temp hot melt glue, bit of an oxymoron I know!. Might  be worh a try? :?:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 22:41:01 PM »
Don’t know the exact melting temp of the glue I’ve got, Bill.

Like I said, I’ve used this glue to secure the wing servos in the ‘6 and it hasn’t damaged the polystyrene of the wing’s core so I shouldn’t think it’d harm the EPS that this Squall airframe is made of.

Suppose the thing to do is to try it on a little section, and see if there’s a prob.

Must say I like the sound of this,…….saves mixing up lots of small amounts of epoxy and then having to strap the parts in place with sticky tape while the epoxy cures.

(I always get very impatient when I’m building :roll: …………………..Mind you, looking at the weather forecasts I’m not going to be able to fly it for a good few days anyway! :!: )