Author Topic: Which EDF model for a learner?  (Read 63863 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Which EDF model for a learner?
« on: October 17, 2010, 16:59:11 PM »
Just for “The sake of it” I’m thinking about getting a EDF model. :D

Having never flown a ‘Jet’ before I thought I’d have a try and see just how hard (or easy :wink: ) it is to fly one of these things.

Question is…Which one to get????? :?:

I’m not into scale models, so I don’t care if it looks like a full size plane or not.
I want something that’s not too difficult to land, tough, reasonably aerobatic, and one more thing that I can’t remember,………er…….mmmm……..Oh yes, CHEAP. :lol:

Been looking at the Phase3 Fantom :shock: ………….anyone had one?

Come on then guys. Hit me with some good advise.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 17:17:27 PM »
Hey Keith,

My God, you are going to do planes ??!!  :P

The NI lads will certainly gives you good advices on that!
Why not the MPX Twister ?

Had a kit in my hands, and that very good stuff, easy to build etc, typical MPX stuff...
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 18:45:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Fred. :clap:  The twister seems a bit expensive, with the airframe alone costing €150.

The Fantom is much the same size for only €102 and comes with motor, esc. and fan unit. (SMC) Thanks for the idea anyway. :wink:

Anyone else got any ideas. I’m expecting loads of positive vibes from you Ulster guys :?:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 19:04:47 PM »
Yeah, haven't checked the price of that plane  :oops:

You have loads of Chinese Jet thingy, fully equiped for good price, but not sure about the flying quality though  :?:

Or go for a big one, like John Sabre or Sukhoi  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 21:01:22 PM »
Hi keith

There are many EDF small jet models on the market, some good and some bad. You want a model that is good value for money and will fly well. I have had many different types of Edf models, the main problem is power to weight ratio, most of the jet models need a 4 cell lipo and a good motor with fan to get any speed at all, which adds more weight.

The best edf models I have flown for both speed and price are the following :

Gws F15
Phase 3 f16
Alfa Mig 15

The big EDF's are good but you need a good runway and a good 6 cell lipo for  reasonable speed.
You can fly a rear prop jet model Keith at half the cost, and get a great flying model.

I would go with the phase 3 F16 kit, you get the fan,motor,speed controller with the model, add two servos and a 3 cell lipo and fly, great little jet and fun to fly.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 21:43:41 PM »
MMMmmmmm……….Many thanks John,  very interesting! :?:
I came to the same conclusion regarding big EDF’s. So as I’m just looking for a bit of fun, and the local farmer doesn’t have a tarmac runway for me to use :!: , I need something that will be able to be hand launched.
I like the price of the F16 (being only a couple of quid more than the Fantom.)
I take your point about rear prop jets, although at the moment I think I’ll stick with the idea of EDF.

Just looking at the F16, it looks like the air intake is on the underside of the model. The instructions say it’s an all foam design.
Question; How does that foam air intake stand up to heavy landings? :oops:

K.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 22:20:01 PM »
OH!, now I’m getting confused. :?  I’ve just been looking at the Phase3 range of EDF’s

They do a “Squall HP” (High Power).
This uses a 4cell Li-po, has an optional ruder and optional vectored thrust :shock:  facility. On top of that it ain’t very expensive and is hand launched. (At least that’s what the guy in the video does)

OOOooooh, a few hours ago it was all so simple, I just wanted a cheap EDF……………Now I have to make decisions. Woe is Me! :cry:
(May be I should just stick to gliders :) )

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 12:13:11 PM »
Hi Keith

The squall is a good model, however if I was in your shoes, I would go with the f16, good speed and good value for the euros!

As for the air intake, you can reinforce this area with a little fibre tape, it also comes with a plastic cover over the air intake edge for added support, The weak stop in this model, is the elevators on landing, you land nose high, then just before touch down, level the elevators, after a few flights, you will get the hang of it!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 14:42:08 PM »
What about building a pusher prop depron jet?

Plenty of plans out there and you could probably transplant electrics from your indoor models if you have any.

bearpjk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 16:40:57 PM »
Further to Bills suggestion , have a look here for a
good option :

http://foamyfactory.com/jets.htm

I have an ef16, flies great too

cheers
Peter K

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 17:09:54 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you for your postings.

Turning to Bill & Peter first.  
What I want is to try something with a high thrust velocity. Why? I hear you ask.
Well,…….just because I would! I’m not concerned if the model looks like a jet plane, I’d just like to try flying something who’s thrust is developed by an EDF. ie something different.
I’ve tried propeller powered flight, gliders, and indoor models. So while I take on board the advantages that you suggested, I think I’ll stick with the idea of electric ducted fan. (But thank you for your advise.) :clap:

Mr. JP.
Thanks for your comments John. Let me just tap your brains a little more. You said in a recent posting that…..“the main problem is power to weight ratio, most of the jet models need a 4 cell lipo and a good motor with fan to get any speed at all.”Taking that comment to heart, (and not wishing to appear argumentative) you seem to be advocating models that have higher battery voltages and bigger fans.
The Squall HP has just that. (4 cell giving it greater than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio). It also rudder control, and the option of vectored thrust ability. All this for just 5 or 10 quid more  The F16 (made by the same company) uses only a 3cell battery, has no rudder control nor any option for vectored thrust.

Now you’ve been flying these things a lot longer than I have, so I am but a “babe in your arms” but if we exclude the slight increase in cost of the Squall HP and just compared the two models, given the above facts, would you still vote for the F16? :?:

K.

(Great day up on Big L today. 50K winds, loads of lift but just a little chilly. I'd forgotten what cold hands felt like :lol: )

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 17:11:26 PM »
.xx

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 17:26:46 PM »
More here Keith

http://www.mauriziomartinucci.com/home_elettrico.php

http://www.parkjets.com/free-plans/
I believe this may be where Denis Z got the BD5 plans

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 22:25:11 PM »
Hi Keith

The Squall is a great model, however you have to buy the thrust vector unit, and for great performance, many of the pilots upgrade to a hot motor.

With the F16, you will get a good fast model with what comes in the box, all with a 3cell lipo. In our club most pilots have an F16, and the display pilots from Langfordavaition club, use them in all their displays, 4&5 models at a time in the air.

Keith I have an F14 foam model in the workshop for a rear mounted motor, it yours free if you want to try a little jet model flying, let me know and I will get it down to you.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »
K.