Author Topic: Tcoptor  (Read 18370 times)

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »
Keith , I have kept my coptor stupid simple, I fly it in aeroplane mode and am getting more used to its bad habits aswell as the good ones.
All part of the learning cure.
The expert here is Nando, it is great to have a more experienced and knowledgable member of the forum that came help us.
Winds are too strong here today to fly coptors and too strong for me to launch my big Fox.
I might just build another coptor so I can swap over the radio gear etc. after the next crash.
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Tcoptor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 00:21:06 AM »
oh yeah. These babies end up eating alot of mah's.
I'm using 1200kv with a total avg consumption of 24-32A's.
It is quite common when the LiPo starts to be discharged that the copter stops to respond properly. Usually noticeable when one or more motors need to rev up to compensate some sudden movement and they simply don't. I've let mine go doewn
a few times due to that. Now I time the usage in  6 -7min for the 2200mah packs.

Back  on the prop size, it is interesting because new theories show up all the time.
I've read both, an in all cases they always provide some benefits.
For example bigger props, require less rotation for the same amount of lift and so it produces less vibrations.

In my opinion in this "game" of trying and getting better response from the motors there is a clear winner and that is the i2c ESC's. Much faster updates and better throttle resolution..
But those are expensive and for just playing around the normal ones work perfectly fine.
I recall some tests comparing motors response times and the big factor was the ESC and how fast it would react to changes in control.
..Nando

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
Hi Nando, very interesting comment about the ESC.
I am using cheapo ESC on the coptor. The throttle response is ok but I know from experiance with indoor planes that a smooth ESC makes a world of difference. I use a YGE esc on my pattern planes, not cheap at €90 for a 4amp esc and on my freestyle planes I use Castle Creations 10amp. These ESC made a mega difference to the way the planes fly.
I have a few 10amps CC still in there packets and was thinking down the line of making a quad coptor using komodo motors, Castle esc's and the Wii board. This would be designed around my camera.
But first it is fun and learning with the tri coptor.

I have new props to test today , I have 3 x 9x7 APC props and I am going to try them today.
By the way all my props are running normal dirrection, I donot see many shops selling CW props.
Richard Boyd

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Tcoptor
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 14:08:29 PM »
Well that is usually the problem.
Better gear cost more and on these machines is always x3 or x4 or even more.

I have a firiend using CC ESC's and Axi motors (deluxe gear) :)
He had some issues initially to set the ESC's throttle range but after exchanging some tips he's now flying it perfectly.
I believe it was due to the CC ESC's feature that syncs up the throtle range.

If you have that gear available definetly use it with the MWC (wii board).
That one can handle 400hz update rates and should make the motors run really smooth.  Unfortunalty you're not close if not I'd let you have a go on my MWC so you could feel the difference.

Regarding the ESC's most like me use the Turnigy Plush ESC's because over tests those were the ones that performed better in regards to response and smoothness of the throtle range.
But I'd go for CC as well if it wasn't so pricey.
..Nando

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
Yesterday I tried different props on the coptor, 9x7 APC.
The coptor aint liking the change, now it is twitchy, I have tried to adjust the gains but this aint improving the handling of the coptor.
I have some 9x4 apc prop to try today if the rain goes away.
A;so my new packs arrived so it is test time to see what packs work best for me.
I got 3 different brands to test.
Richard Boyd