Author Topic: September fly in at the big L  (Read 28374 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
September fly in at the big L
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 06:54:52 AM »
The lift was very light to start with yesterday and for myself I could only get a 2mtr polyhedral to stay in the air, but by mid afternoon the breeze had picked up a little and some more adventurous models could be put through their basic flight manoeuvres.
Weezels flying in combat could be seen flying in great abundance. 5 or 6 were buzzing around close in looking not unlike a swarm of oversize butterflies, stimulating roars of approval from their owners and onlookers when collisions occurred. :clap:  I understand they are not made any more, (Weezels I mean, not their pilots,) else I might be tempted……. :?:

I couldn’t even begin to list the names of all the pilots who turned up on the Big L yesterday, there were just too many. Despite Richard and Bill from the north not being able to make it :( , by 2pm I counted 14 gliders flying off of the south slope and there were still a whole bunch of guys standing around back at the car park chatting and eating. Certainly there were at least 20+ pilots in total. ( I can remember a September Glide In, on the same slope, when there was just Fred, Peter, Dennis and myself. Could it be my magnetic personally that’s attracting all these people? :D …….Errr.. no, you‘re right :?  ….probably not. :cry: )
Two potential new comers made inquiries about how to join our happy little “Band of Brothers.” ME, a brother of FRED :shock:  Perish the thought!!
Martin, who has recently moved to New Ross from Tipperary demonstrated his skills-on-the-sticks by flying a borrowed 100” Riser with great confidence and ability :clap: . Plus, at the end of the afternoon, Graham, (or maybe Graeme) confessed to a life long desire to become embroiled in the world of ailerons, elevators, batteries and butterfly brakes ect. You’ll never see another hill, mountain, quarry, or sand dune in the same light again Graham…you’ve been warned! :lol:  

So, what joys await us today? I dare say the “Moss House” crew will be hung-over as usual on a Sunday morning. May be they’ll emerge by post meridian. Winds are forecast to be a little lighter today from the S - SW so I’m off to put my polyhedral on charge. See you up there lads. 8)

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
Don’t rush to get out of your beds this morning lads,……Big L is completely covered in cloud :( . As yesterday, the wind speed is zero and the temp is 12’ C
C U up there later

L. Keith

Spinifex

• View Profile
    • http://www.windandwavemodels.com
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
I had a wonderful day on Saturday meeting a whole bunch of people who had only been names on the forum and spending time flying with them. There were also a few people I had not seen since the mid 70's.

A couple of mishaps, forgot my wing joiner for my small slope model and 1200mah batteries for my 2m electric. I did manage to get in a few good flights with 300 mah batteries in the electric model ( which ensured I did not cheat with motor use).  
The turnout was great and the atmosphere was excellent.
I topped the day off by purchasing a 2m Mouldie and now face the prospect of getting it back to Canada on Tuesday.
Thanks to everyone
John O\'Sullivan
MACI #26
MAAC #5401

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2014, 20:40:26 PM »
Well home again, and nursing a sick body  :cry:  that hill took it's toll  :D

Thanks for a great weekend all, the winds were light but the spirits were high and the never dampened....

@john O'Sullivan, John thanks for making the effort to come along, it was a pleasure to meet with you and talk about the considerable experience and design work you have achieved over the years. Your enthusiasm and passion for the sport is infectious.

@JP, well my friend you've had a considerable impact on young Tom..... We were about a half hour on the road this afternoon and he hadn't said much and then came out this this gem.....

"Dad, you know JP?......... I think he's a good role model for me!!!!!!!"

Only but a privileged few have had such accolade.....

Needless to say I'll be taking him to the doctor on Monday to make sure he's not flipped out  :lol:
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 21:20:03 PM »
that's me home safe
to everyone who came thanks for a good weekends craic  :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
So once again the south slope provided the lift although with the wind being just a slight bit lighter than it had on Saturday, only the lightest of models took to the sky,….. or those that had the benefit of a little mechanical thrust :evil: . Some members of the group managed to stay aloft for ages :clap: , others struggled and eventually had to take that walk of shame. :oops:  At one point I even saw Fred walking down the slope to collect his model……So he is human after all! :P  Stephen benefited from the occasional use of his Phoenix’s propeller while JP and Andy did their best to maintain height and indeed succeeded for the most part. Big Keith,,,,,,you need a model with a lighter wing loading my friend :!: ,……with winter approaching,…..get building! :D  Justin kept launching his totally home made and home designed models, :clap:  perhaps a little refinement is needed for such light conditions?
Incidentally Patrick showed up on the slope in the morning,….. without a model!! :shock:  Nice to see you again Patrick but if you want to be an Aero Modeller, you need a model aircraft. (The clue is in the title, Patrick :wink: )

Unfortunately the skies darkened around midday and a little precipitation descended upon us all. Not a lot, indeed some pilots kept flying throughout the shower. Fortunately there was only one shower and other than that the sun shone warmly down upon us.

It seems that the “Moss House” mob had had a riotous time the previous evening. So much so that they had recorded their activities on a phone and proceeded to serenade the entire Nine Stones car park of people with it during Sunday’s BBQ. (There are some mighty strange goings on in that B&B,… I’m tell you! :roll: )

So there we have it. The last official Glide-In of the Ireland Slope Rebels for 2014, and certainly the most populated. Talking about the numbers who had attended, during the BBQ on Sunday, we recon there must have been a total of 25 -30 pilots the previous day. Certainly a record number.

I saw plenty of people with cameras during the glide-in, may be some of them will be kind enough to post the fruits of their work on the forum.

If not before, I’ll see you next year lads………

Little Keith

jumbo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 09:55:50 AM »
Another great fly in on the big L. Thanks to all who attended. Had a good weekend walking up and down the slope fetching my crashed models :twisted: and all the repair sessions back at the car.

Back at work now and my legs are aching however would happily swap places and be back on the slope. Looking forward to my next trip down Mt. Leinster.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 19:51:40 PM »
Sorry I could not make it this year. Hope you all had a good time. So where's all the pics!!

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 20:04:45 PM »
I have a short video, but I'll have to see about uploading it somewhere.

I think I'll have to get a proper slope soarer after launching off to a chorus of "cheater!"

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 20:41:23 PM »
Quote from: "angry_muppet"

I think I'll have to get a proper slope soarer after launching off to a chorus of "cheater!"

That’s right David, get a “Proper” glider :D . After all, you don’t want to be a 'Muppet' all your life do you! :P

Better still, build yourself one! 8)  (It’s cheaper that way. :wink: )

L. Keith

Keith

• View Profile
Pics
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 22:27:47 PM »
C'mon Fred where's the pics ???? :)

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 23:08:30 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"

That’s right David, get a “Proper” glider :D . After all, you don’t want to be a 'Muppet' all your life do you! :P

Better still, build yourself one! 8)  (It’s cheaper that way. :wink: )

I've been a muppet for over 30 years, why stop now after all that practice?

Being in the fortuitous position of having just received a considerable tax rebate and waiting on another being processed, I'm using my wiles on the Financial Director to procure more wings.

Considerable time has been spent on Hobbyking adding bits and bobs to the wishlist to enable fumbling attempts at building. Justin's creation looked deceptively simple and would be a good copy with a few micro servos. I'll maybe place an order after the house move is complete.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 23:26:35 PM »
David,
you'd be better with a Phase  or 6, or maybe an SAS Ace, Sailplanes international Secret Weapon. Would teach you far more than any flying wing.

I believe Fred has designed a slope trainer that might also be a good start and having built some of Freds designs will go together very easily.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »
Ah yes, Financial Directors! :?:  

Take my advise David and purchase what you want very quickly before the F.D. changes her mind and decides that she wants a new bathroom suit or some such.

I’m tell you, women are a strange species. You think you understand them, then suddenly realize you don’t! :!:

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti